Discuss s plan 8 zone ufh diagram? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matt Walters

as part of a re wire the house is having underfloor heating, via the boiler.

having spoken to the plumber he says they are going to be using a john guest 8 way mains voltage system

John Guest Speedfit - The World Leader in Push-fit Fittings, Pipe and Plastic Plumbing Systems - Mains Voltage System - Controls

hes told me they are having 4 stats on the ground floor, and one on the 1st floor landing for the radiators (its a 3 storey house with ufh only going on the ground floor, radiators on the rest)

its an s plan system, but im struggling to find a diagram anywhere of how to include a ufh system into a normal s plan, especially with 5 stats.

the only thing hes told me is that i need to supply a fused spur to the boiler/wiring center, and need to wire from there.

the last time i did an s plan was on my am2 18 months ago. i appreciate its easy enough with just heating and dhw, but when including a ufh system as well.

im assuming that it will be the same, and the water supply to the 8 zone ufh manifold will effectivly be the same as the one for the radiators and the manifold valves will controll it from this point??

also and this is most urgent really, on a mains voltage system does anyone know what cables to run to the stats? 1.5mm 3c+e? or a normal twin?

any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks matt

Is the boiler located in the same room as the valves and the pumps and the cylinder and the UFH manifold? (i.e where is everything in the property?) In terms of first fix it'll be to you advantage if it is all close.

I think yes, a 3 core to each stat would be your minimum requirement.

Normally with these sorts of jobs, we just run the cables to the corner of the boiler room, leave plenty on the cables, and trunk them all after the plumber has finished his stuff.

Like you, I have always struggled to find diagrams that show the relationship between the two, which is why we always draw out systems now and keep them for future reference.

All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like it will be an 'S Plan Plus' with an additional zone valve for the UFH.

Have a look in the stickies at the top of the heating forum, you will find diagrams of the system in one of them.

I wouldn't have thought the UFH manifold would sit on the CH flow & return without an additional zone valve as it would then be controlled via the roomstat for the radiators so when that stat satisfied, it would knock off pump & boiler and also the valve would close so no more UFH either.

Just haVing a read through the JG speedfit blurb, they seem to agree with the above.

As for the stats, I can find no definitive guidance on the website so as they are mains voltage I would treat them as any other roomstat and wire them in 3c & cpc.

unfortunately not, its not in the same room :(

might get on to the plumber again, ive had a good look through the jg website and it says that the kit will be supplied with wiring diagrams and spec, so hopefully hes got the kit and i can nick the bit i need,

problem is really with it i was out of work for 3 months, finally got a job (but only at a wholesalers) and since then ive had quite a few people ring me about things, which is leaving me very little time to see spec sheets and contact people etc.
as with this house im not there in the day when the other trades are, i get there at 5 and work till it gets dark, then work at weekends agian when no ones there. in all fairness the plumber does seem sound a really helpful though which makes a change lol

thanks for your help at least i can get the middle floor stat in now anyway :)

i have wired quite a few of these UFH systems and there are a few things you need to do

firstly the stat can normally be from 2 wire types up to 6 wire ( and the UFH1 system is 7 wire ELV wired in cat5!!) so dont get caught out with not enough cores for your stats, i beleive your type is 4 core and earth.

Cabling -this is what you normally need to run,

5 core flex from boiler/or wiring centre to heating manifold control, check stat requirements and run appropriately sized cable from each stat back to manifold, sometimes there is no zone valve for the ufh its controlled by the actuators and stats on the manifold and directly water fed from the boiler but if there is and its not next to the manifold this will need a 5 core flex run to pick that up back to the manifold control.

Try and think of the UFH system as totally seperate from the hot water and heating systems as it totally controls itself all you need are connections at the boiler or control centre, wherever is easiest to pick up L, N, E, 230in, 230out. some boilers will only have L N E s/l or if the boiler doesnt have an intergrated pump, it may be better to go back to the wiring centre if you not sure .

The UFH pump/stats/actuators and valve(if used) are all wired back to the UFH control centre so all you need is the supply and switch cables to control the boiler or wiring centre (5core).

I hope this helps with 1st fix, the wiring diagrams that come with the UFH3 are very good and simple and you shouldnt have troubles with them.

BTW the stat on the 1st floor will be 3c and earth and run to the central heating system and is nothing to do with the ufh stats it will only control the rads upstairs DO NOT run this back to the UFH manifold.
And you asked which cable to run for the ufh stats, well this is where it gets a bit silly cause if you need to get5 cores to a stat and they are long runs and within the floors and walls
you shouldnt really run a 5 core flex you should run t&e but this is gonna be expensive and impracticle as you will have to run at least 2 cables to each stat so take that decision yourself! All im saying is most systems i come across with 4 plus cores for the stats are wired in flex!(heat ressisting flex)

now thats the answer i was looking for :) thanks :)

so for the middle floor im ok to run a normal 3c+e to it and thatll be fine?

the ufh systems ive worked on before were in new schools and had a temp sensor in each room which was just 2 cores (0-10v) signal i belive, but this went back to a building controlls panel where the trend excite modules do the rest.

as long as the middle floor is done the biulder will be off my back for the time being haha.

thanks for your help

yes thats right, it should be a standard honeywell stat or whatever you are installing, just wire up the standard s-plan as you normally would, all you need to do for the ufh is connect to the boiler as described above it is COMPLETELY INDEPENDANT from the heating/hot water controls.

As a side note; if you install ufh stats that are NOT programmable then youll probably want to run another 5core from the manifold for a timeswitch to control the UFH which is pretty straight forward too, but looking at the stats you describe they are programmable anyway so dont bother.

i have recently done a ufh1 system and it worked fine for a couple of weeks then the panel seemed to break n a coldnt get the panel bk on think it could be transformer or relay or sumit any way a changed the panel and it did the same again, after a week the panel went, any 1 got any ideas what the problem could be or as any 1 come across this problem before thanks

Reply to s plan 8 zone ufh diagram? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net