Discuss S Plan Assumed Knowledge - Need General Info in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

owenskinner

Hi All.

Am about to enter into the world of S Plan heating systems and need some general knowledge as I have none when it comes to plumbing.

The system comprises of the following:
It is a Danfoss S Plan With 2 * 2 Port Zone Valves With Programmable Heating & Hot Water Thermostats

1 Worcester Combi Boiler
1 Cylinder
1 Motorised Zone Valve
1 2 Port Valve For Hot Water
1 2 Port Valve For Heating
2 Channel Full Programmer
Ground Floor Room Wired Thermostat
2 Dual Cylinder Thermostat

I have the S Plan Schematic From The Cylinder and another from Danfoss Both Attached.photo 5.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Which S Plan takes precedence? Danfoss, Cylinder or Worcester (There isn't one provided in the Worcester manual)? Is there an obvious reason why one takes precedence?

I am not sure where the two cylinder stats are supposed to be wired to as there is nothing I can see in either S Plan for the cylinder stats (Is this the 'Dual Aqua Stat'.

How do I know if the combo boiler needs the switched live or not? Is it standard that it always does in 'S/ Y/ W Plans'?

Will the boiler pump in this instance be within the Worcester Combi Boiler?

Any general information in addition to these questions also great fully received i.e. how the system works once wired and plumbed.. stat calls boiler, valves open to divert to zones etc etc.

As you can tell I am really green in this area but need to learn fast!

That reply goes to show how little I know about plumbing. I presumed it was a combo boiler as it was doing hot water and heating? Is that wrong????

There are so many different combinations of heating systems today, the possibilities are endless.

If you have a look in the 'stickies' at the top of this forum, there are a few threads with numerous different types of diagrams and permutations etc.

What I would also recommend is the honeywell installers training course, there are a few threads on here with feedback on it. If you use the forum search feature it will throw up the results.

Regards which diagram to use, I always use the Honeywell ones from their site.

Don't get pulled into trying to use 2 or 3 different diagrams as your head will be in bits!

Take all the wiring back to a 10 way wiring box of some sort, makes final wiring so much easier.

Is there any difference between a 'Honeywell S Plan' and a 'Danfoss S Plan' or is it just a different manufacturers picture of the same wiring schematic?

I have the Full Danfoss S Plan Wiring Centre to run everything back to.

Is this a vented or unvented cylinder? either way, you only need 1 cylinder stat per cylinder.

If it's a vented, Wire it to the first diagram, the second is the same apart from it has a built in overheat stat for use with an unvented cyl

If it's unvented, come back or read the MI's for the cylinder.

S-Plan-Wiring Diagram.jpgY-Plan-Wiring Diagram.jpgW-Plan-Wiring.jpg

I googled these ages ago and now have them on my phone for reference at all times, they are the best diagrams i have come across.

Not being flippant but you only need to learn what each component actually does and it becomes a whole lot easier. Following diagrams is all very well but what if you need to look at a system that you haven't installed. It's only a bunch of switches after all. I spent six moths on an army base with a plumber who considered every fault a programmer failure, having looked at around 50+ systems in that time, only one was actually the programmer, that was a learning curve but it has served me well ever since.

It's only a bunch of switches after all. I spent six moths on an army base with a plumber who considered every fault a programmer failure, having looked at around 50+ systems in that time, only one was actually the programmer, that was a learning curve but it has served me well ever since.

Good advice!

hi all , qualified electrician , but not done much if any heating system wiring , however I have the chance of a decent contract wiring combi and heating systems in domestic properties . Do you think it will take long to get my head around the various wiring .

Cheers Sedgy , am pretty good at picking things up , worked alot with 3phase and single phase controls and relays just wondered whether this would hold me in good sted for the contract

Reply to S Plan Assumed Knowledge - Need General Info in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net