Discuss Saddle / Fixing Spacings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Patryk

-
Reaction score
Hello guys. This is my first post so go easy on me.

I have had a install job at the company I work for currently. It is pvc 20mm conduit run on the wall horizontally. Seeing that the 18th edition in reg (521.10.202) Note 3 says that plastic clips are not meant to be used as a sole means of support and suitably spaced metal fixings should be used. So for the sake of this argument and this installation, we are using all metal saddles. My confusion begins that according to my supervisor the saddles are meant to be spaced at 250mm apart and no more then 150mm from a bend. I referenced back to the onsite guide Appendix D, Table D3 which says that distance between supports (metal saddles) for 20mm Rigid Insulating (PVC) should be be no more then 1.5m Horizontally and 1.75m vertically. Note B mentions clips should be no further then 300mm from a bend.

I have heard from various sources that the spacing should be 250mm between the saddles. My question is, am I right to think that the spacings they are using is unnecessary or are they correct. If so, what regulation specifically says this and/ or what table shows this. I really want to do my work correct but I also want to be able to reference it back and understand it.

Thanks in advance guys

Hello guys. This is my first post so go easy on me.

I have had a install job at the company I work for currently. It is pvc 20mm conduit run on the wall horizontally. Seeing that the 18th edition in reg (521.10.202) Note 3 says that plastic clips are not meant to be used as a sole means of support and suitably spaced metal fixings should be used. So for the sake of this argument and this installation, we are using all metal saddles. My confusion begins that according to my supervisor the saddles are meant to be spaced at 250mm apart and no more then 150mm from a bend. I referenced back to the onsite guide Appendix D, Table D3 which says that distance between supports (metal saddles) for 20mm Rigid Insulating (PVC) should be be no more then 1.5m Horizontally and 1.75m vertically. Note B mentions clips should be no further then 300mm from a bend.

I have heard from various sources that the spacing should be 250mm between the saddles. My question is, am I right to think that the spacings they are using is unnecessary or are they correct. If so, what regulation specifically says this and/ or what table shows this. I really want to do my work correct but I also want to be able to reference it back and understand it.

Thanks in advance guys
There’s guides for each spacing but ultimately I’d go with the manufacturers recommendations.

250mm sounds ridiculously close to my mind.
On the rare occasions I use plastic conduit I've always worked to 1m spacings,

I tend to go for around 600mm vertically and a bit less horizontally with 20 and 25mm pvc but that's just me. 250mm is ridiculous though !

Is this inside or outside.
This is ran outside but over a roofed wall so direct contact with rain wont be an issue, running at a height of 2m. This is also a communal area for 2 flats. Regarding what the circuit is for.... it is meant to provide emergency lighting to the emergency escapes of both flats and to the emergency outside staircase. It also provides emergency lighting to an outside corridor with a roof that leads around the front of the house. PVC is not ideal and I do realise as it expands and contracts under hot/ cold conditions but this is what has been requested.

I would be more liberal with the fixings if it is external as the temperature fluctuations can cause the tube to deform if slip joints are not employed.

I do 300mm (one hammer length) for external plastic tube , it helps prevent dandy droopy conduit

Inside I would just do what ever the OSG states

Reply to Saddle / Fixing Spacings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock