Discuss Safe isolation AM2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently carried out my AM2 exam but failed on safe isolation (single circuits) & fault finding.

The weird thing is I only failed one out of 3 on the safe isolation so not sure what I done differently. I’ve got my Resit booked and just wanted to ensure that I’d be doing it the correct way:
Identify circuit
Ask permission to de-energize circuit
Isolate circuit
Lock off circuit
Apply warning notices
Prove testing equipment
Go to e.g. light fitting and test for any voltage
Re-prove testing equipment
Good to start work.

Does this look all good to you? Originally I took the board cover off but I think it’ll be better to just test the loads (lights, DOL etc)

Did you test all conductors to each other ? ie L-E, L-N, N-E
Where did you keep the key for the lockoff whilst testing ?

Hi all,

Recently carried out my AM2 exam but failed on safe isolation (single circuits) & fault finding.

The weird thing is I only failed one out of 3 on the safe isolation so not sure what I done differently. I’ve got my Resit booked and just wanted to ensure that I’d be doing it the correct way:
Identify circuit
Ask permission to de-energize circuit
Isolate circuit
Lock off circuit
Apply warning notices
Prove testing equipment
Go to e.g. light fitting and test for any voltage
Re-prove testing equipment
Good to start work.

Does this look all good to you? Originally I took the board cover off but I think it’ll be better to just test the loads (lights, DOL etc)
You passed AM2? If Yes please help my because I have the same situation

Did you put the cover back on the board when you went to test the circuit eg light fitting?
[/QUOTE]
[automerge]1571425538[/automerge]
Does section C take the cover from DB or not?

There is a "Safe Isolation Pocket guide" produced by NICEIC and ELECSA, plus guidance note 3 from the electrical safety council, you shouldn't go wrong if you adhere to those publications should you?

Did you put the cover back on the board when you went to test the circuit eg light fitting?
[/QUOTE]

Good afternoon, i recently failed my fault finding and have the same question... Do you take the cover off? Whats the process? Do i isolate the Main switch or leave that on and just isolate the circuit that i need to find the fault on?

Any help would be greatly apreciate

Good afternoon, i recently failed my fault finding and have the same question... Do you take the cover off? Whats the process? Do i isolate the Main switch or leave that on and just isolate the circuit that i need to find the fault on?

[/QUOTE]
For section C dont take the board cover off for the light circuit and DOL. Just the final 3phase whole board tests needs the cover off. For the lights test at the fitting and behind light switchplates too

You will only be taking the cover off the board if you are isolating the board itself. There is no need to remove the cover if you are isolating a circuit.

For section C dont take the board cover off for the light circuit and DOL. Just the final 3phase whole board tests needs the cover off. For the lights test at the fitting and behind light switchplates too
[/QUOTE]
Ok, take no board cover off. Unless you're isolating the whole board.

Once you isolate the lighting circuit go up to the light and test only at the light L-N L-E E-N Remember to activate the switches too.

DOL Motor test at the DOL

This post is getting a bit messy as its merged but basically the process is...
Ask permission for each of the 3 isolations. Lock off the circuit required. For the lights prove your voltmeter take the light fitting cover off a3md test L-N and E for voltage then reprove. For the DOL same but take the cover off (just) the DOL and test the incoming supply is dead. Prove -test-prove. Test the load side within the DOL noting that you wont have an N to test just in case a supply is coming from somewhere else and then your DOL is safe to work on. For the whole board same start but this time take the board cover off and Porive-test-prove the board itself. That should cover everything then

Hi Guys, I passed my AM2! Cheers for the tips to the people who helped. I'd recommend the XS training videos as well if anyones looking for a good run through of it. Testing and inspection next for me.

Reply to Safe isolation AM2 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net