Discuss safe to use a 120VAC 60Hz to DC adapter at 120VAC 50hz? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

danieru

Hello,

I have a US AC to DC Adapter (input: AC 120V, 48W, 60Hz / output: DC 12V 3.25A; it's for a US Gamecube)

I'd like to use it in Sweden, which has 220V at 50Hz.

I'll step down the voltage from 220V to 120V with a voltage converter like this one here.

but the frequency will still be 50hz, correct?

So the question seems to be: will this adapter work with 120V 50hz?

I recall reading *somewhere* that if the adapter is converting to DC, than the frequency shouldn't matter for the device itself (because the adapter converts to DC, which has no frequency), but I still question whether the adapter itself can handle 50hz frequency as input.

Any help appreciated!

1. It will work.
2, it will notwork.
3 it will go bang.

Get a pin.

You might find a european 12V 3.5A DC adapter for 220V is available for less than the cost of the step-down transformer. Just check the size and polarity of the DC plug is correct for the console.

The justification that 'frequency doesn't matter as it's being turned into DC' is incorrect, as you suspected, however in practice most commercial devices will accept either frequency albeit sometimes running hotter at 50Hz.

I like the suggestion in your link to the 100W 220-110V transformer that it can be used for:
"hairdryers, coffee cup heaters, coffee makers, irons, clothes steamers, stereo and cassette players, DVD players, radios, electric shavers, cameras, and any other small appliances"
You can iron dolls' clothes with 100W but not real ones.

Thanks for the replies..

Are the first two replies here trying to be esoteric, and or humorous? I think post #2 is saying it will work, and post #3 seems to be saying that it will eventually destroy the adapter, though I have no idea what 'get a pin' means...

Post #4: yes, I think trying to find an adapter with similarly rated output is probably a good option, I think I'll look into that since I don't want to risk destroying the US adapter and/or the gamecube.

Thanks for the replies..

Are the first two replies here trying to be esoteric, and or humorous? I think post #2 is saying it will work, and post #3 seems to be saying that it will eventually destroy the adapter, though I have no idea what 'get a pin' means...

Post #4: yes, I think trying to find an adapter with similarly rated output is probably a good option, I think I'll look into that since I don't want to risk destroying the US adapter and/or the gamecube.
i wouldn`t worry about 50/60Hz....

it should work OK..
now....wheres my thanks?

Yes, we should state explicitly that the advice here relates to power supplies for electronic goods. Other types of electrical equipment made for 60Hz, such as those with inductive ballasting (e.g. your fluorescent fitting) and induction motors, might not work correctly and could be damaged at 50Hz.

In both of these applications the current will be too high and the motor will run too slowly. Also, anything with a transformer that is of marginal design and running close to saturation, might experience overheating.

With a switched-mode power supply such as the OP is looking at, the main frequency dependent components are the reservoir capacitors, which are charged at every half cycle. The lower the frequency, the more deeply discharged the capacitors get before being recharged, hence more ripple on the DC feeding the inverter. If the supply is old and the capacitors life-expired (a common cause of SMPSU failure), then a unit that seems to work OK on 60Hz might not work on 50Hz. In that case, it was due to fail anyway.

There are SMPSUs on sale in the USA badged for '120V 60Hz' that are actually designed for 90-254V 50-60Hz and can be connected directly to UK mains, as they are identical to ones sold in Europe. However if they are only UL listed for the 120V duty their safety approvals would be invalidated on any other voltage.

Reply to safe to use a 120VAC 60Hz to DC adapter at 120VAC 50hz? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net