Discuss Safe Zone and Cable Routing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Elliot Knight

Hello,

I am adding sockets to a garage conversion. The ceiling is already plastered, and above the ceiling is a bedroom. Between the ceiling and the bedroom, the void is stuffed full of insulation. Looking to avoid cutting large holes in the ceiling or above floor to remove the insulation and run cable (if I fish the cable leaving insulation in it would need to be derated), would the following be suitable.

Run the cable up the wall vertically from the socket to the 150 mm safe zone below the ceiling. Go across the safe zone horizontally till in line to the next socket. Come vertically back down the wall to the socket. See illustration, red line showing proposed run.

As the walls are not yet plastered, this would be a fairly easy run to achieve.

Safe Zone and Cable Routing {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Its within zones so yes.
What about where its fed & going to on the ring, if through the void how much length of the cable will be going through the insulation? Might still need to derated?

Ps im a trainee still & other members on here have more experience

I have cut a small hole in the floor above where the cable will drop down and have enough space to pull about 1m worth of insulation away. The insulation isn't needed now as the room underneath will become it's own insulated room.

So the cable should be in plenty of free air.

Unfortunately I just can't get all the insulation out of the cavity all the way along without having to cut many holes along the floor which isn't practical.

The hole I've done now is right next to an upstairs socket too, so I'll be extending the ring from that point which is very convenient.

what about the other end? is that going to an existing socket upstairs and will you then ditch the existing link between the upstairs sockets? your plan to use the 150mm below ceiling is good.

Yea, so there are 2 sockets upstairs, very close together so will ditch the link between them, drop down 2 cables to garage, to form a new extension to the ring. I need 3 sockets in total, so will do the ring for 2 sockets, and the 3rd will be a spur off of one of the new sockets. Make sense?

sounds like a plan. :). don't forget that you can run horizontally direct between sockets.

And if I can't break the socket link upstairs for whatever reason, I was going to use the Hager Ashley MF JB in the void to break the cable just before a socket, drop one down from the JB and loop round to go back in to the socket.

32A 3 Terminal 17th Edition Junction Box White | City Electrical Factors - https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/4304018-32a-3-terminal-17th-edition-junction-box-white?q=ashley

Obviously this adds a break in the cable, and whilst it is maintenance free, I would prefer to go the socket only route.

Reply to Safe Zone and Cable Routing in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock