Discuss Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spools

DIY
Reaction score
Hey all.

New here and new to 3 phase.
I had some electric experience on set in Los Angeles as a gaffer for a couple of years, but it was mainly single-phase - counting amps and avoiding blowing circuits type deal. Also did basic wiring in my old 73 chevy truck as well. So nothing huge.

But now, living in Austria, I'm met with 3 phase.

I have a kitchen ceiling unit that I'm looking to replace with a custom lamp.
(I've done some wood working and now looking to add 3 individual bulbs from this new unit as an overhead unit)

Question is, can I simply split the existing hot and ground three ways from the existing lamp directly to the respective three new bulbs/units I intend to have?

Yes
(assuming you're not powering theatre lights 🤪)
Haha - LED - under 60w each - dimmer at switch. Straight forward.

I suppose a better question is, what is the best way to split it?

Divy it up three ways, connect and shrink wrap?
I'm a bit of a perfectionist with this stuff and having trouble envisioning the cleanest way to do this.

Haha - LED - under 60w each - dimmer at switch. Straight forward.

I suppose a better question is, what is the best way to split it?

Divy it up three ways, connect and shrink wrap?
I'm a bit of a perfectionist with this stuff and having trouble envisioning the cleanest way to do this.
Depending on the space available, what you can buy, and local practice, you might use push-in connectors as below
or the lever type (assuming your wires are the appropriate gauge!)

Instead of trying to split 1 wire into 3 wires,
go to the first light, cable in and a second cable out to the next light, rinse and repeat as necessary

Thanks, guys.
I curbed this project for a couple weeks, but back to wrap it up.

I like the plug and play idea of a connector.
Amazon.de is showing poor results - I see this here
But I don't like the design with how all of the hot is left, and all of neutral right for example.

I found this on google, which looks much cleaner as I can simple keep each L/N together for each lamp:

What do you guys think? Any thoughts on that product?
It's rated at 9amps... I can't imagine I'll draw nearly 20% of that on 230v.

The wagos already mentioned. I'm sure they're available throughout Europe.
I see you're in Austria, the only place I can now watch F1 live from, thanks to ORF and Servus, without paying exorbitant fees to that crook and general scumbag, Murdoch

I see you're in Austria, the only place I can now watch F1 live from, thanks to ORF and Servus, without paying exorbitant fees to that crook and general scumbag, Murdoch

Haha. I stay away from cable TV as I did in the states, but watch ORF and Servus at the in laws the same way Fox News hits my parents when I’m home.

My go to has always been SKY when watching games back in the states. I think they’re English though.

I receive ORF and Servus via the internet and synchronise it to a live sound commentary from an English radio station.
Sky is Murdoch, and they provide excellent coverage of F1, in exchange for many hundreds of GB pounds per year. Full F1 coverage is also available worldwide on F1TV, via the internet, at the very reasonable cost of about £60 per year, but this is blocked in the UK by Murdoch and Sky.

I'd be amazed if German made connectors were unavailable in Austria.

I receive ORF and Servus via the internet and synchronise it to a live sound commentary from an English radio station.
Sky is Murdoch, and they provide excellent coverage of F1, in exchange for many hundreds of GB pounds per year. Full F1 coverage is also available worldwide on F1TV, via the internet, at the very reasonable cost of about £60 per year, but this is blocked in the UK by Murdoch and Sky.
Murdoch had SKY too?! Sticky paws man…

I’m surprised the syncing works for you, but I’m glad it does! I would usually have a delay of a play or two when streaming NFL games.

I'd be amazed if German made connectors were unavailable in Austria.
You’d be surprised the trouble I have working my hobbies in Austria. There’s a boat load of rules and regulations when working on autos.

They don’t have nearly the same amount or similiar products for wood working at the local OBI (Home Depot.) I’ll have to go to a speciality store outside the city for contractors and even then, wood conditioner doesn’t exist, I had to make my own.

Electricity wise, let’s see, I never really got my hands dirty in this realm here yet. I tried out a dimmer in the office but, for whatever reason struggled. (That’s a different post altogether.)

You’d be surprised the trouble I have working my hobbies in Austria. There’s a boat load of rules and regulations when working on autos.

They don’t have nearly the same amount or similiar products for wood working at the local OBI (Home Depot.) I’ll have to go to a speciality store outside the city for contractors and even then, wood conditioner doesn’t exist, I had to make my own.

Electricity wise, let’s see, I never really got my hands dirty in this realm here yet. I tried out a dimmer in the office but, for whatever reason struggled. (That’s a different post altogether.)

Wago connectors are widely used worldwide and extensively within Europe. While not all connectors are available in every market, I'd be confident that 773 (push fit for solid/coarse stranded conductors), 2273 (compact push fit for solid conductors) and 221 (lever type for solid/coarse stranded/fine stranded) ranges are available to you.

Edit: Also worth looking at their 224 range, which is specifically intended for lighting.

Wago connectors are widely used worldwide and extensively within Europe. While not all connectors are available in every market, I'd be confident that 773 (push fit for solid/coarse stranded conductors), 2273 (compact push fit for solid conductors) and 221 (lever type for solid/coarse stranded/fine stranded) ranges are available to you.

Edit: Also worth looking at their 224 range, which is specifically intended for lighting.
Thanks man.

This would all be easiest with a keyword or link for purchase. Anyone know of one?

I seem to be 'asking' 'researching' the wrong question when seeking this push connector/splitter online.
For example here, but I'm only finding one to one connectors.

Thanks man.

This would all be easiest with a keyword or link for purchase. Anyone know of one?

I seem to be 'asking' 'researching' the wrong question when seeking this push connector/splitter online.
Just type"Wago" and select the one you want!
and follow that with a number from post #16 if you want to narrow it down.

Or If you have solid conductors:

Last edited:
Thanks man.

As above - google 'Wago' followed by the range number and you then just select the number of ways you need (i.e. the number of individual wires that need to be connected in common).

Just type"Wago" and select the one you want!
and follow that with a number from post #16 if you want to narrow it down.

Or If you have solid conductors:
Is the Amazon.de though going to suit my splitting needs? My naive self was envisioning more of a “spliter” configuration.

With the Amazon.de link here, would I be able to place L from the ceiling in one end and appropriately power three separate L for three bulbs on the other?

(I was under the impression that these connections were one to one where each of the four were separated. One for L, N, G…)

Reply to Safely split ceiling lamp for three bulbs. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net