Discuss Safest way to add a fused spur? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have 3 cables going to a double socket (original socket in a new build, I haven't changed it).

To spur off this and add an FCU I would've thought I would've had to obviously add a 4th. There are already 3 cores under each screw, feels like 4 might be 'cramming' which worries me.

What's the safest approach? Perfectly safe to add a 4th?

As always, thanks in advance for any advice. Always appreciate the help from here ?

Where is the FCU being located? If it’s just beside the socket, wire the FCU so it is part of the ring, leaving only 3 in the socket.
You will need to find out which cables are part of the RFC and which cable of the 3 is a spur

p lmo[/QUOTE]
I know Mate only you forgot to mention it you post, OP may have gotten confused

As the others have said, it would be best if you could make the new outlet part of the RFC = ring final circuit. Basically 4 wires in to a screw terminal is really pushing your luck!

With the three wires you have and (obviously!) the power off you should find two of them (say, checking the live wires) are connected to together (low resistance with meter, or continuity checker) as they loop round the ring and join again at your fusebox. The 3rd then must be the existing spur.

Ideally you can re-route one of these ring ends from this outlet to the new FCE and add a new wire from it back to the outlet to complete the ring again.
[automerge]1588454054[/automerge]
Another option is, of course, to put a junction box in to attach your new spur, that should be enclosed in a suitable box. Generally folk here like the Wago terminals & realted boxes and they have 3-way ones ideal for this job that are rated at 32A (the 2.5mm should not see more than 25A).

Last edited:

Reply to Safest way to add a fused spur? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock