Discuss Safety Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

luvordie

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, I have a safety question! My friend found a cable and argued that it was okay to touch it (and did touch it) because there's no probable way a coated fiber optic cable that had no voltage warning and was located next to a power line could cause you harm. Due to the fact it is coated and most likely properly insulated because it'd be a big mistake for an electrician to make. Do you think that what he did could have lead to harm in any way? He is not an electrician and thinks that he can make this call. He understands that as a rule of thumb you should not touch cables that are near a power line, but he claims he properly assessed the situation, and concluded that there was minimal risk involved. Is there any way I can convince him that what he did was stupid? Or am I in the wrong here?

This is the wire in question: View: https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/PyCsURe

*note the warning doesn't say anything about high voltage, only about digging.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand. You say he touched a fibre optic cable, but where is that in your photo. I can see the copper cable with the lug on it.

This looks like an insulated copper conductor not a fibre optic as you suggest, I would not be in any habit of touching a cable on an ill educated whim, it may well be the case on this occasion it turned out to have no potential voltage to ground thus no shock received but that may not be the case every time and such guess work could see him receive a nasty shock, burns or even death in a future case.

The tube however does say optic on it, can you relay the exact wording of this as the cables present in the tube are clearly not fibre optics and they simply may be using the tubing for convenience and are not the designated normal cables used in that tube, a very risky prospect of your friend to assume that just because it says it on the cover then the contents must be that... if we electricians went around with that train of thought then we would be a scarce community indeed.

It could be they're using armoured fibre cable and that is the earth bond for the steel armouring?

Still, always best not to touch unknown cables, always assume they are live until proven dead.

My 5 cents worth - I’m definitely not touching anything that hasn’t been proven dead. Once proven dead (by testing) I would connect that conductor temporarily to a known local earth so that it couldn't become live somehow while I’m there working ...

Well I often say to people on site taking risks (as they can't be stopped anyway, idiots!) "Go on then, I have always wanted the chance to beat you off of a live cable with a big lump of wood":)

This looks like an insulated copper conductor not a fibre optic as you suggest, I would not be in any habit of touching a cable on an ill educated whim, it may well be the case on this occasion it turned out to have no potential voltage to ground thus no shock received but that may not be the case every time and such guess work could see him receive a nasty shock, burns or even death in a future case.

The tube however does say optic on it, can you relay the exact wording of this as the cables present in the tube are clearly not fibre optics and they simply may be using the tubing for convenience and are not the designated normal cables used in that tube, a very risky prospect of your friend to

The tube however does say optic on it, can you relay the exact wording of this as the cables present in the tube are clearly not fibre optics and they simply may be using the tubing for convenience and are not the designated normal cables used in that tube, a very risky prospect of your friend to assume that just because it says it on the cover then the contents must be that... if we electricians went around with that train of thought then we would be a scarce community indeed.

that just because it says it on the cover then the contents must be that... if we electricians went around with that train of thought then we would be a scarce community indeed.

The wording on the tube said, "Fiber Optic cable, call 72 hours before you dig". So, if I am understanding you correctly, It seems as though they were repurposing a tube but the cables inside may not have been fiber optic?

The wording on the tube said, "Fiber Optic cable, call 72 hours before you dig". So, if I am understanding you correctly, It seems as though they were repurposing a tube but the cables inside may not have been fiber optic?

Fibre optic cables are not terminated with big copper lugs! However as someone mentioned above , it may be a related earthing cable.

I certainly wouldn't touch it without testing it!

Fibre optic cables are not terminated with big copper lugs! However as someone mentioned above , it may be a related earthing cable.

I certainly wouldn't touch it without testing it!
Are these cables dangerous to touch?
[automerge]1598528196[/automerge]
It could be they're using armoured fibre cable and that is the earth bond for the steel armouring?

Still, always best not to touch unknown cables, always assume they are live until proven dead.

I agree. (I am a complete laymen, trying to convince my friend he knows less than he thinks he does, so excuse me if I ask this incorrectly). Could touching a
armoured fibre cable that is earth bound lead to electrocution?

Are these cables dangerous to touch?
Any conductor should be assumed dangerous until proven to be dead/safe.

Fibre optic has its own danger, some IR lasers are not visible spectrum but carry enough light power to damage your eye if you stare down some types of fibre.

Basically applying the "don't monkey with stuff you don't really understand" rule will generally lead to a logner and happier life!

Reply to Safety Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock