Discuss Saftey before RCDs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

marcuswareham

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I understand the importance of RCDs, what they do & how they can save lives. I agree with there requirements. I also understand you can meet ADS disconnection times with high enough Zs values for relevant fuses or MCBs, etc

In the 18th edition the use of RCDs is much more widespread

The question is RCDs are not new and have been around for some time, In the 15th edition in 1981 RCD use was not so widespread and as far as I can tell (I don’t have a copy and was not alive when they came out) it was only required for a socket which could maybe be used outside to be RCD protected, however the risks were much the same in 1981 we still use a lot of the same appliances used then (more computers now) but things like power tools which could cut there own power cable was used for example , etc

So what changed why was it safe then but not now?

I guess this argument could be taken back to the 1st edition of the wiring regs which now look like a joke, although our usage and power requirements have changed dramatically since then hence the need for updates

Maybe this is a silly question, like why do we now need smartphones but didn’t 20 years ago, but would be interested in peoples views

Thanks Marcus

My understanding is that in the past there was more of a reliance of the Faraday Cage idea. This wouldn't extend outside the house so then RCD protection was required as far as I know.
I only learnt from the 17th edition though, I do recall there was a lot of bonding of metal window frames and such, at least at my grandparents house, I'd be interested to know if that was a requirement of earlier editions of the regs or just a misinterpretation.
Zs values should be low as possible I assume you meant.
There were voltage operated earth leakage detection devices before apparently, but I haven't seen one installed yet, and don't know much about them except they are generally considered to be inferior to RCDs.

Last edited:
Rcd were used widely in European countries before we adopted the format.
Bonding of anything metal,back in the 14th/15th,including windows,external waste pipes,baths,radiators in bathrooms,those are Some of the items.
The Rcd was used mainly in the domestic environment,& provided added protection,against electric shock.
The bonding also disappeared,on the above,if protected by Rcd.
Bonding to water & gas still needs to be done,though the 18th ,says if a plastic insert enters the building,then metallic pipework then no bonding required.
Still can’t get myself to do that,I always install a cable @ those positions.

Cost would be a considering factor.
RCDs would have been a new or developing technology, in the times when there was nothing miniature about miniature circuit breakers.
If an rcd was fitted, it was as a whole house mainswitch, or even upfront... so as not go to the cost of replacing the whole board.
Then it became split boards, a little separation in the event of a fault.
It is only in recent years that a rcbo can be used for every circuit in a board. Down to cost of the individual device and the space it can take up.

Now we are being asked to use SPD and consider AFDD in the boards... new, expensive but as some point will be commonplace

I have worked in some old property refurbishments and a substantial number had metallic conduit electrical installations buried in the building fabric which obviously provides pretty good protection from a DIYer. Dodgy appliances with poor earthing etc. could still have been a risk.
I seem to recall being told at college that the regs were originally written to cut down on the numbers of electrical fires, and have over the years adapted to cover user safety more comprehensively.

Part of the move to more RCD use comes from increasing expectations of safety (along with more DIY accidents) together with the falling price of electronics and (as already mentioned) the fact they are physically smaller now.

The Europeans have had incomer RCD for a long time, but generally they have used TT systems so they need that to disconnect on a fault. Whereas the UK with its long standing use of TN-S (and more recently TN-C-S) and polarised sockets with earth pins has been able to rely on a low Zs clearing faults to earth in equipment or bonded metalwork by the fuse/MCB tripping.

Thanks for all the replies, interesting stuff

I understand about the faraday gage concept and had no idea metal window frames used to be bonded, there must have been bonding cables everywhere!

Yes I thought cost might be a factor and what cost was reasonable for an installation

My partner's dads house has one of the old voltage style earth leakage devices, it is a TT supply so I guess they were used before RCDs due to the high earth electrode resistance. His place has since had the C/U replaced but the VOELCB has been left in place before the c/u. He said he has had RCDs trip and the VOELCB does nothing.

I see the point that there was less risk from drilling though cables it with earthed metal conduit in the wall, which was commonplace, I guess that also stopped being so common due to cost. Even in my house though which was 16th edition and had no RCD protection on over half of circuits the cables are chased in and not very well mechanically protected. My house now is fully RCD protected with RCBOs

Has there been an increase in people getting killed or injured from electric shock then, compared to the past (but could this be down to a larger population)

Now we are being asked to use SPD and consider AFDD in the boards... new, expensive but as some point will be commonplace
The rise of SPD comes from the big cost of electronics in the home now, cost for it is not much in terms of a CU change.

For now AFDD are expensive, a typical CU change with them is going to cost £1-2k more, but in time they will fall in price and probable will become the norm, a bit like RCBO are now small enough and cheap enough to consider using in place of a split-RCD/MCB board.
[automerge]1588584130[/automerge]
His place has since had the C/U replaced but the VOELCB has been left in place before the c/u. He said he has had RCDs trip and the VOELCB does nothing.
There are two possible explanations for that!

Realistically if he had a 100mA/300mA S-type up front (and 30mA per circuit) it would not have problem trips either, but if you have a 30mA device for a whole house it is not going to be reliable!

@OP It's still relevant to some extent because there's still a number of property's that don't have RCD's and some probably still just on Fuses.

as a side note a lot of not needed Bonding took place.

and the old ELCB..... but that's another story.....

and Safe Zones.

Last edited:
£1-2k wow!!
Realistically if he had a 100mA/300mA S-type up front (and 30mA per circuit) it would not have problem trips either, but if you have a 30mA device for a whole house it is not going to be reliable!

The discrimination at his place doesn't work, there is no 100mA or time-delayed units everything is 30mA, not sure who did the c/u change etc, but it was not very thought out

@OP It's still relevant to some extent because there's still a number of property's that don't have RCD's and some probably still just on Fuses.
But remember that an RCD provides additional protection and one aspect that bothers me going forward is a move to rely on it and drop the expectations of fault clearing Zs and bonding of exposed metal parts, etc.

RCD do fail, the electronics within are more complex than a MCB, and most home owners do not test them!
[automerge]1588584537[/automerge]
£1-2k wow!!
The Wylex ones are neatest, fit single slot, but cost here is £154+VAT each:

So if you have 10 circuits in a CU that adds up!

The discrimination at his place doesn't work, there is no 100mA or time-delayed units everything is 30mA, not sure who did the c/u change etc, but it was not very thought out
Whoever did it was clearly not that competent! (To be fair, they might be technically skilled to fit it safely but just lacking in the theoretical stuff)

Last edited:

as a side note a lot of not needed Bonding took place.

Yes exactly still relevant, A friend of mine has just bought a house with a re-wirable fuse board.

He asked me if the plug in style MCBs would make it compliant with the current standards (he has not got alot of electrical knowledge). I said well the regs are not retrospective so there is not a requirement to upgrade and the plug in MCBs do the same job as the fuses/fuse wire I said either save your money and buy a pack of fuse wire, or spend your money on adding RCD protection (c/u change etc)

But remember that an RCD provides additional protection and one aspect that bothers me going forward is a move to rely on it and drop the expectations of fault clearing Zs and bonding of exposed metal parts, etc.

RCD do fail, the electronics within are more complex than a MCB, and most home owners do not test them!
Yeah it's still relevant but looking to the future maybe some kind of Programmable RCBO with LCD screen that you can monitor the Earth Voltage/Current or maybe I'm dreaming.......

Yes exactly still relevant, A friend of mine has just bought a house with a re-wirable fuse board.

He asked me if the plug in style MCBs would make it compliant with the current standards (he has not got alot of electrical knowledge). I said well the regs are not retrospective so there is not a requirement to upgrade and the plug in MCBs do the same job as the fuses/fuse wire I said either save your money and buy a pack of fuse wire, or spend your money on adding RCD protection (c/u change etc)
The plug-in MCB are a great stop-gap solution if a new CU is too expensive.

The majority of the public struggles to replace fuse wire competently, often putting in the wrong thickness or messing up the screws. Not to mention it is usually the light circuit that blows then you can't see to do it! Also it is obvious which circuit has tripped without having to rely on the documentation (which is frequently missing).

The plug-in MCB are a great stop-gap solution if a new CU is too expensive.

The majority of the public struggles to replace fuse wire competently, often putting in the wrong thickness or messing up the screws. Not to mention it is usually the light circuit that blows then you can't see to do it! Also it is obvious which circuit has tripped without having to rely on the documentation (which is frequently missing).

Good point, didn't think about having to do it in the dark etc, and as you say changing fuse wire is simple enough to us but maybe not everyone

I guess the plug in MCBs also stop people putting in higher rated wire to avoid tripping!!!

I think he is going to go with a c/u change and more work any way as he is planning an exstension and new kitchen etc, so would make sense

Good point, didn't think about having to do it in the dark etc, and as you say changing fuse wire is simple enough to us but maybe not everyone

I guess the plug in MCBs also stop people putting in higher rated wire to avoid tripping!!!
Also importantly they also stop people plugging in an open fuse on to a live fault. That rarely ends well :(

I think he is going to go with a c/u change and more work any way as he is planning an extension and new kitchen etc, so would make sense
Most kitchen fitters would insist on electrics complying with current regs so RCDs, etc.

The place may not need rewiring, an inspection and some insulation testing should confirm that, but going for a new RCBO board is what most of us would recommend anyway and is not a huge cost impact on a kitchen project, etc, probably costing £5k or more!

Reply to Saftey before RCDs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net