Discuss SAGE accounting software in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

imago

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Anyone use Sage accounting software? I've just got it to try and make sense of the last nine months records, and at first glance it's looking like a right ball ache!

I used sage line 50 when i did my second HND which is in accountancy. From what i remember it wasn't as bad as it first appears and was straight forward when i got my head around it. If i can find my course work on it i will have another look and post some tips if thats any good

I already have Sage, it will save me on the accountant's bill as it's what they use.

The main sticking point at the moment seems to be inputting stuff like advertising. I have run through the 'training' thing online, and it helpfully says that I must understand debits and credits. Fine, then in the journal section it says that they must balance. OK, what must? I enter a line in the journal for an invoice with an amount, so where does the balancing factor come from?

I'm sure I'll get there in the end :/

Truthfully? I have no bloody idea! :)

Seriously, I'm basically inputting (or trying to) everything from the last nine months from paper records. I think once I've cracked the starting point and order to do it all in I should be fine.

Once this is all sorted then I will have to start again as I have change from Sole Trader to Ltd Co. I think that will be much easier as it will be done as I go along rather than trying to retrospectively input accounting data.

Stick with it, it will eventually make sense and then you'll see how useful it can be. I used to use it but now use QuickBooks just as it's cheaper!

Ok the best thing to do is to work through the help section. It became a bit confusing as to what you want but here goes. In a balance sheet your debits and credits will and must always be the same hence they balance (they can be made to balance even through a suspense account but we are not there yet) The advertising is generally shown as an expense on the profit and loss statement.

I will try look out some samples and email them to you when i have done so this may make it easier to understand

Thanks, but don't go to too much trouble, I'm sure you have better/more pressing things to do.

At the moment I am inputting supplier and customer information as it's nice and simple. Then I'll have a brew and come back to it later as it's going to be one of tose 'penny drop' moments I'm sure.

I also have some more of the online training thing to work through which will help I'm sure.

quickfile can be imported to sage!! :)

Hmm, well I tried ramming the supplier invoices into the DVD drive, I read my invoices into the microphone and I've held up the other receipts to the monitor. All to no avail. So I'm back to typing it in and trying to work out what goes where.

I think I may be making progress, and it is a case of the penny dropping then it starts to make sense.

The journal bit for stuff that isn't job related was foxing me. Then reading back through you have to make an entry or entries with what it cost, and a balancing amount with where the money came from. All I need to do now is get my head round the debit/credit issue and that side of things will be sorted. Hopefully.

If you have just bought the software they have a free help desk for 60 or 90 days. You can pay for the rest of the year if you want to. Thier help desk is really good, and they are trained in all the software and knowledge of accounting practices. They will not tell yuo how to run your accounts but will help with posting stuff in the right place, making alterations and loads of other stuff. The only drawback is that you will have to call them during the day as thier hours are not very late.

I started with instant accounts which my ac****ant said to get to help het do my accounts and therefore save me money (it will also do your VAT returns online for you in about 5 minutes!) , i now use sage 50, However i only bought it because i now use sub contractors and it does my CIS calcualtions and CIS returns quickly and accurately.

It is a ball ache at times, but when you get to grips with entering the receipts, invoices etc, its pretty good.

there are some much simpler packages you can use for Quotes and Invoicing eg Amphis Customer but which still export to Sage format for your accountant.

Reply to SAGE accounting software in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net