Discuss sainsburys and waitrose taking the p. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
so yesterday i went to sainsburys to get afew drinks for a party i was going to later that day and at the check out i got id'd fair enough. but then they id'd my elder brother and his girlfriend. my brother who doesnt drive or carry around his passport oviosly didnt have id, the lady at the till said she was sorry but she was just doing her job and she could call her superior if i wanted which i did,
2 minuits later a guy comes down saying its company policy,
so i asked what would happen if a mum with her kids came in she wouldnt be able to buy alcohol, he then said no thats a different case. i then asked him how it was a diffrent case... no reply after a few minuits he starts again saying sorry its company policy.
and the exact same thing happened at waitrose.
really does take the p when you are over 18 with id and you still cant get served.
rant over.

Last edited:
Seems to be the norm as they do similar in Tesco and Morrisons. Just tell whoever's with you to p. off while you make the purchase to save the **** ache. The world is a stupid place at times!

Last edited by a moderator:
hahaha...!!

happened to me in morrisons year or so ago...! got ID so i said yeah no bother... showed Driving License, she then asked my G/F for ID and she only had her police warrant card holder on her and showed her the badge and the ID card...

the woman said oh i cant accept that as it has no DOB on the Card...

i got a bit angry and manager came over who was a little 19 year old spotty **** and went oh that could be any old ID card.....i cant accept it..!! store policy etc

i went oh ok i dont want my shopping and left approx 178 quids worth of shopping in bags/conveyor/trolley and walked out.... the managers face was priceless all over a 4.99 bottle of wine...!

hahaha...!!

happened to me in morrisons year or so ago...! got ID so i said yeah no bother... showed Driving License, she then asked my G/F for ID and she only had her police warrant card holder on her and showed her the badge and the ID card...

the woman said oh i cant accept that as it has no DOB on the Card...

i got a bit angry and manager came over who was a little 19 year old spotty dick and went oh that could be any old ID card.....i cant accept it..!! store policy etc

i went oh ok i dont want my shopping and left approx 178 quids worth of shopping in bags/conveyor/trolley and walked out.... the managers face was priceless all over a 4.99 bottle of wine...!

Your G/F should have been quicker off the mark and asked for their ID and all the checkout staff if they where selling alcohol to make sure they where over 18

Last edited:
The problem arises because all the stores are scared that those total c-words in trading standards will do a 'sting' operation on them.

When I used to have the shops one of my staff served one of these kids that trading standards uses and I ended up in the dock (even though I was 50 miles away at the time of the incident). When I was being interviewed they showed me the pictures and details of this guy.... he had a beard, looked about 25 and was 18 THE DAY AFTER THE INCIDENT. So I now have a blip on my record which will hinder me if I want to do any work in schools etc, and I've been dragged over the coals like I'm a bloody kiddy fiddler all because these people will stop at NOTHING in their entrapment of normal shopkeeps to try and boost their figures and gain revenue through fines. I'm sorry if any of you guys is related to one of these people, but to my mind they are complete SCUM who do not do anything to benefit the community (they don't actually stop any of the real kids drinking on the street etc)

So don't get too wound up, it is bloody stupid, but it's not the shop's fault, it's the law.

indeed it is the law however you are breaking no law selling alcohol to a 18+ with any age person it is breaking the law if the 18+ gives the alcohol to the minor.
correct me if im wrong

a lot of the stores have "check 25" now and anyone who looks under 25 will be id`d. when your in your 30`s mate it will be a compliment if someone id`s you:) by the way a mum with kids does not always get served ask my other half :) she had our daughter with her the other year who was 14 at the time and they still would not serve her :D:D she was fuming but i would have been chuffed :D

bit of a harsh comparison....!!

Maybe mate, but if you were going to take someone on but had to do a CRB check cos you were working in schools, and it came back implying that person should not be able to work around children, what would you think? I don't know what sort of report comes back from the CRB, but I would imagine due to data protection etc it can only be a pretty vague report, which could be a massive hindrance in a case like this!

Luckily I only got an official caution in the end which I think goes off your record after 10 years or something.

similar happened to me. a girl 5'6" and looking 16-17. ( on a friday when you would expect under 16's to be at school ). trading standards officer in anorak acting like a shoplifter to distract us. girl bought 10 smokes form my assistant while i was confronting the suspicious guy, next thing another one comes in with smokes in an evidence bag. ÂŁ85 fine and costs. bloody entrapment.

A mate of mine was in a store a couple of years age and was asked for I d then they turned to his girlfriend and said are you over 18. He said she better be I've been ******** her for 5 years.

so yesterday i went to sainsburys to get afew drinks for a party i was going to later that day and at the check out i got id'd fair enough. but then they id'd my elder brother and his girlfriend. my brother who doesnt drive or carry around his passport oviosly didnt have id, the lady at the till said she was sorry but she was just doing her job and she could call her superior if i wanted which i did,
2 minuits later a guy comes down saying its company policy,
so i asked what would happen if a mum with her kids came in she wouldnt be able to buy alcohol, he then said no thats a different case. i then asked him how it was a diffrent case... no reply after a few minuits he starts again saying sorry its company policy.
and the exact same thing happened at waitrose.
really does take the p when you are over 18 with id and you still cant get served.
rant over.
This is gonads mate, trust me my missus is a manager for Sainsburys - and I also worked at my local store over christmas. This is probably nothing more than a checkout worker with the hump. Yes, she is well within her rights to refuse a sale of any alcohol to ANYONE no matter how old they may look - especially groups of people. But you should of insisted on the shift supervisor seeing you. Although the supervisor would NEVER overrule the checkout worker, 9 times outta 10 the supervisor should/would of 'invited' you to a different till in order to complete your purchase. Especially if you actually DO look like an adult. Unfortunately for customers, checkout staff who have the hump (for whatever reason)often do this; knowing that they'll well within their legal rights. Next time, you're buying booze, go on your own. Rediculous yes, but no more stupid than some of the daft rules that we have to contend with on site.

Well,
I have been asked 3 times recently in my local Tesco & I am 40+, should I be chuffed?
My mate who is mid 50's, with little hair and whose 19yr old son works in the store!!!
Was asked for ID!!!
When I was asked I had several items of ID on me as I was leaving work & I have to carry ID for certain customers.
Mind she asked for my photo driving licence, & I don't have one!!!
My mate was leaving work and does not carry ID at work as he is employed and it could get lost/stolen/damaged at work, so he left his shopping there also!!!
Apparently the managers face was also a picture then!!!
I can understand why they do it.
However, the legal age for consumption of alcohol, in ones own home, by ones own children is what?...
Pop Quiz anyone?...

Maybe mate, but if you were going to take someone on but had to do a CRB check cos you were working in schools, and it came back implying that person should not be able to work around children, what would you think? I don't know what sort of report comes back from the CRB, but I would imagine due to data protection etc it can only be a pretty vague report, which could be a massive hindrance in a case like this!

Luckily I only got an official caution in the end which I think goes off your record after 10 years or something.

Downer rocker sounds like you were stitched up.

CRB - after all the stuff in the press about "slipping through the net" and childrens' nurseries that end up with someone being arrested for taking piccys of kids (they're all CRB checked though) I have no confidence in it as a system.

Next level up. Security checked by the police, thats the sausage. Then I'll listen!

an enhanced crb shows everything,its a myth that police records get written off,i had one on mine from 27 yrs ago,its up the the employer to read between the lines..

Paul - if I remember correctly (it's been a few years) there is no age limit for someones children drinking in their own home, and the limit for somebody drinking something less than 3% (or something) in a pub with a meal is 14 (or something)..... however, in classic British Justice fashion it is ILLEGAL for an adult to buy alchohol specifically for this purpose! Crazy, no?

Spartykus yea I guess I was done up like a kipper, but when you become a licensee this is the responsibility you have to take on. You may have been in a pub when some landlord has told some young'uns to sod off, and you may have thought it was a bit harsh, but being done by trading standards can (in all seriousness) ruin these people's lives. The system is mental!

Reply to sainsburys and waitrose taking the p. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net