Discuss Sample Testing- Periodics (or EICR) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Kraigp1

Anyone got any views on Sample testing? Customers are increasingly asking for cheaper prices & are frequently quoted by the major companies in the periodic inspection trade for a sample test.
It basically means the installation will be afforded a 3 or 5 year cert with probaly as little as 10% of the circuits in the installation actually tested.

Your thoughts anyone?

I test I sign the cert I decide how much sampling recent job for example on surface looked ok and test results were good so only checked lightly job a few weeks aggo loads of alterations looked a mess sampled very heavily Ddint find any more but I personaly felt it warrented a heavier sample
Its down to your judgement as to how much you sample noone can tell you iIMHO

My view:

the minimum 10% inspection is good only for commercial or industrial premises where a TPM policy or regular maintenance regime is in place. In such a premises inspections may be carried out every year. thus if 10% is inspected each time and provided the sample is rotated each year then all accessories will be inspected every 10 years.

In other premises I would tailor the sample size so that all accessories are inspected every 10 to 15 years. So in a village hall for example with a PIR every 3 years i would do 1/3 (one third). Thus all accessories inspected in 9 years and the original set reinspected at 12 years. if it's an existing property which hasn't been inspected before, then 100% for the first one (a more common occurance now insurance companies are starting to ask for PIRs to be carried out)

In a domestic premises, owner occupier, I'd be happy with 30 or 50% every 10 years. As the recommended interval is 10 years, if you only inspect 10%, then some accessories wouldn't be checked for 100 years!!!!

For a domestic rental I believe in 100% inspection for the first PIR (unless the house is less than 10 years old, then I might reduce to 50 or 30%), with 30% thereafter every 5 years max (sooner if lots of tenant turnover). i also recommend a VIR each year between PIRs.

The ESC guide has good info and recommendations about the I&T interval for rented property, but has nothing to say about the sample size. Something I think the ESC should consider adding.

You are there to guide the client and with a small sample on a dire installation you could end up testing all of the satisfactory parts. You should get a good feel for the place when you first go in. The standard of wiring at the meter head and CU should give you a clue. If on your small sample, you find faults, you are going to have to dig deeper, and again this is where you have to up sell to your client.

Withe a sample inspection, I normally initial the inside of accessories with a marker pen and take a note of what I have done............cover your butt...

wee sticky dots from staples are great Firm I use to work for sold a lot of PIRs on 20% circuits per year hence 100% done in 5 years year 1 blue dot year 2 yellow dot year 3 green ect ect nly problem was year 5 left all the keech that had been avoided on previous years ie year 1 nice easy circuits on the db year 2 same till year 5 all the not easily located ones and the ones that are a right sod to get to, to do

I dont like the idea of sample testing and wonder how this would satisfy compliance.
I would insist on a 100% visual be carried out and be very carefull to fill out section D (extend and the limitations box) on a PIR.
A lot of companies seem to like idea of percentage testing i.e doing 20% each year, they can spread the cost over 5 years and have after 5 years the whole installation tested.
We test 20% of the installation NOT 20% from each DB. this way its much easier for the next person coming to know what to test and also you dont the problem Mogga said with all the nasty circuits to test in the last year. Also you can test the sub-main to the DB as well.

There are a few large large companies I know of do NO PIR testing as "we refit frequently so there is no need" they also only do a full inspection of DBs ie "maintenance" the other one does Zs only testing 20% but full visual inspection and report

the thing thats got me a bit disilusioned is putting in an unsatisfactory cert doesnt have any clout and client can choose to ignore n they just change companies every 5 years there NEEDS to be some legislation to prevent this but the government are more intent on Drinking ,Smoking and things they can TAX not general public safety
something along the lines of 2 yearly liscence to open premisis and records held

I think you are right about the ESC elaborating within their guidance, particularly as the NICEIC refer to it greatly during their assessments.

Reply to Sample Testing- Periodics (or EICR) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock