Discuss sanity check for electrical services in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all, first post but have enjoyed the forum for a while..

I am in Bristol and recently had an electrician do some work on my house - I want to sanity check the way this guy operated.

He did some tasks satisfactorily: Changed a room to a ring circuit, hooked up a second light switch for overheads, sorted out undercabinet lighting. Was about 2 man-days. For this he charged me £ 1300. Is that a reasonable amount.. £80ish/hr?

Second question: there was a wall switch PIR in the hallway he had a look at (was previously installed and stopped working during construction). He said it was wired all wrong, the earth was being used as the negative, and it was super dangerous. He took the PIR off the wall, and left the wires hanging out the wall with waygo connectors on the ends, then left it like that. Is that allowed?! I've been scared to do anything with it.

The last question: he said my fusebox was not up to regulation, after he had done all the work (ring circuit, etc). Said it would be a days worth of work and should be done, due to reg changes. I did not catch exactly what he said was needed but when I bought my house in 2011, this was not flagged as an issue. Is this typical? and if yes, what's a days work roughly go for with an electrician?

Thank you in advance!

Travis

Yes the PIR was wired incorrectly but super dangerous probably not, removing it and fitting unenclosed Wago connectors has left it more dangerous than it was in the first place.
There is no requirement to upgrade your consumer unit so it meets current Regulations however a picture of it can help us to advise.

He did some tasks satisfactorily: Changed a room to a ring circuit, hooked up a second light switch for overheads, sorted out undercabinet lighting. Was about 2 man-days. For this he charged me £ 1300. Is that a reasonable amount.. £80ish/hr?

This I'm curious about.
Why was the room circuit changed to a ring?
£1300 seems a lot to me. Where the undercabinet lights gold or something.

One important question is: Did you get a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate for the work done.

unless the room he changed to a ring probalby lift up floor boards raggle walls, run new wiring back to fusebox . maybe its a 5 bed house ---- knows. etc make wiring good and everything that goes with it. that mite have been the bulk of the cost. leaving exposed wagos not good unless the house is derelict or no one living there atm or power been isolated etc. fusebox cant commect unless see what it looks like , if added new ring will be on rcd side . if no rcd somtimes its more economical to replace full board. as usual 2 sides to every storey. if thought the price was off should get a couple more quotes no harm done.

Yes the PIR was wired incorrectly but super dangerous probably not, removing it and fitting unenclosed Wago connectors has left it more dangerous than it was in the first place.
There is no requirement to upgrade your consumer unit so it meets current Regulations however a picture of it can help us to advise.

Sorry for the slow response.. forum notification updates were off

I thought it felt more dangerous too. Is this allowed by all the guilds and organizations electricians belong to?

I'll try to send a pic of the Consumer Unit. I wish Í had asked more questions when he was through..

This I'm curious about.
Why was the room circuit changed to a ring?
£1300 seems a lot to me. Where the undercabinet lights gold or something.

One important question is: Did you get a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate for the work done.

----

Why a ring?

So there was a lot of kit plugged into the sockets in the room.. When I looked under the floorboards, the wire supplying the room had apparently gotten quite hot and had melted into the styrofoam insulation under my floor

I am not sure if ring was required, but it seemed like the room was in-adequately supplied. What do you think?

----

Re 1300... It felt like a lot too!

I want to challenge this bill to be honest.

----

Was I supposed to get a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate? is this something I should request?

Can you explain more?

i smell rip off. 2 days about £500 - £600. add materials used, probably about £100 -150. does this spark drive a Transit or a Porsche?

----

I feel super ripped off. The contractor who organized the work said it was GBP 1300 and he paid the spark.

The contractor DEFINITELY was taking the ---- on several amounts he tried to charge, so I don't really believe him

Trying to navigate what to do now.

----

The spark left and said that my consumer box was not up to regulations and he wasn't even supposed to work on the house without having had upgraded it. I wonder if there's any leverage I have with that fact (if it's true)

Also, the fact that this guy who has to take multiple tests every year to be certified has left dangerous wires just hanging out of my wall ... a total sloppy mess.

Do you think I have leverage here?

unless the room he changed to a ring probalby lift up floor boards raggle walls, run new wiring back to fusebox . maybe its a 5 bed house ---- knows. etc make wiring good and everything that goes with it. that mite have been the bulk of the cost. leaving exposed wagos not good unless the house is derelict or no one living there atm or power been isolated etc. fusebox cant commect unless see what it looks like , if added new ring will be on rcd side . if no rcd somtimes its more economical to replace full board. as usual 2 sides to every storey. if thought the price was off should get a couple more quotes no harm done.

Thanks for the reply

----

He may have lifted a board or two. he did not cut walls. he did run wires back to fusebox through 1 room.

It's not a five bedroom.. he went from a living room (the new ring circuit room) through a hallway to the box.

----

house is not derelict and I was living there. I thought WTF is this guy doing, he left the wall socket in worse shape than when he arrived.

Is this allowed for a certified electrician spark?

----

I'm going to take pics of the consumer box.. maybe you guys can give your thoughts on it.

You should definitely have got a certificate for the work he has done.

Was I supposed to get a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate? is this something I should request?

Yes mate, you should have definitely got a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate.
Yes, for the price of £1,300 I would request that they finish the job off by giving you the cert. The job is not finished until you receive it.

You should definitely have got a certificate for the work he has done.
Could you explain what the certificate is, why he should have given it to me, etc?

Is this something that he may say: No, I don't have a certificate for you and now that he's paid, he won't give it to me?

Why a ring?

So there was a lot of kit plugged into the sockets in the room.. When I looked under the floorboards, the wire supplying the room had apparently gotten quite hot and had melted into the styrofoam insulation under my floor

I am not sure if ring was required, but it seemed like the room was in-adequately supplied. What do you think?

Then it sounds like the original cable supplying the room was not adequate for the breaker size and installation method.
Lets hope that this electrician has allowed for the insulation under the floor and sized accordingly.

Could you explain what the certificate is, why he should have given it to me, etc?

Is this something that he may say: No, I don't have a certificate for you and now that he's paid, he won't give it to me?

See post 11 from Spoon.

Just to clarify the cert. This is pinched from the electrical regs.

sanity check for electrical services 1639145732697 - EletriciansForums.net

So I wanted to share an update... I've been in touch with the electrician and he says he won't give me a certificate of electrical work done. He said the wiring is a mess ( which to be clear, he left it a mess ... then the contractor who subcontracted him demanded payment for his work )

This appears like he doesn't want his name attached to what he's done at my house... or perhaps there's something wrong with my electrical system where he shouldn't have been working on it in the first place. I am feeling quite jerked around by this whole experience

I could seriously use some advice here from The Forum: how should I proceed?

When I get back in January the first thing I'm going to do is schedule another electrician to have a look at the work done.

I guess I should probably have a chat with citizens advice as well.

Any thoughts please?

So I wanted to share an update... I've been in touch with the electrician and he says he won't give me a certificate of electrical work done. He said the wiring is a mess ( which to be clear, he left it a mess ... then the contractor who subcontracted him demanded payment for his work )

This appears like he doesn't want his name attached to what he's done at my house... or perhaps there's something wrong with my electrical system where he shouldn't have been working on it in the first place. I am feeling quite jerked around by this whole experience

When I get back in January the first thing I'm going to do is schedule another electrician to have a look at the work done.

Any thoughts please?
Drop me a DM - I've got a reason to come up to Bristol in Jan at some point (I'm south Somerset) and whilst I don't tend to do domestic anymore I'd be happy to look it over and advise if you'd like.

Money wise you're probably on to a looser if you've paid up already to a third party, but the work absolutely needs certifying - even if the cert is 30 pages of observations about issues.

Any thoughts please?
Me personally I name and shame these people. Put it out on social media in your area that he's rough and doesn't give the required documentation.

The money is probably the contractor taking £500 or something and giving the rest to the spark.

I've said this before on here and got ripped for it but i'm going to say it again: if you want to get what you pay for never ever let a builder or other contractor arrange electrical work for you. It will rocket the price and they're nothing but middlemen. In this day and age you can go straight to a scheme provider and find your own spark and get him to quote direct.

Me personally I name and shame these people. Put it out on social media in your area that he's rough and doesn't give the required documentation.

The money is probably the contractor taking £500 or something and giving the rest to the spark.

I've said this before on here and got ripped for it but i'm going to say it again: if you want to get what you pay for never ever let a builder or other contractor arrange electrical work for you. It will rocket the price and they're nothing but middlemen. In this day and age you can go straight to a scheme provider and find your own spark and get him to quote direct.

Just because a member is part of a scheme does NOT mean he is any good or will do a good job!! Many people get caught out like this.

Drop me a DM - I've got a reason to come up to Bristol in Jan at some point (I'm south Somerset) and whilst I don't tend to do domestic anymore I'd be happy to look it over and advise if you'd like.

Money wise you're probably on to a looser if you've paid up already to a third party, but the work absolutely needs certifying - even if the cert is 30 pages of observations about issues.
Mate, that would be really amazing and I'd be happy to pay for your time. Will send you a DM

Regarding the futility about the payment made already - not it's not really about the money. I just want a certification if that's what'd normally done. And a clearly documented account of what he did under my hardwood floor, for anything in the future that comes up.

Reply to sanity check for electrical services in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock