Discuss Save our trade! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sick of 5WWs? Sick of scam schemes? Sick of laughable training providers?

We as fully qualified electricians deserve better. The public deserve better. Get on here, start hitting the like button, share share share and spead the word guys!!!

We are boycotting the schemes, they can shove their £500 assessment fees where the sun don't shine! We are the industry, not them, so there's absolutely no need to let these parasitic organisations run around acting on our behalf!

Save our trade!!!

https://www.------------/ukelectricians

Man :(

I'm all for this - but i dislike anything to do with facebook, call me miserable, call me boring, call me not with the times - but not even this can pursuade me to get facebook im afraid.

I support you on this strong subject though. And when a website finally gets made about the cause, i'll be the first to sign up :)

Glad you're making a mark Mr.Skelton. Very much appreciated on behalf of all time-served AND up and coming apprentice electricians.

Sorry Damian :( don't do facebook or twitter and never will. I will however support you in any other way that i can.

Sorry Damian :( don't do facebook or twitter and never will. I will however support you in any other way that i can.

And i thought i was going to be the odd one out here, by not having anything to do with these FB and Twitter type sites!! lol!!

As all will know, i fully support the subjects aims in every respect, but i'll not be opening a FB account, ..Sorry!!

The Electrical Trainee's you speak of are too set in now for anyone to depose ,but I admire the attempt to get rid of the idea.
Back in the 1960's and 70's they were called dilutees up north, I served my apprenticeship on menial wages learning my trade, working alongside young labourers who were getting better money, A couple of years later, some of these same lads were coming on sites as tradesmen, they had learned their trade in six months, at the time I recall the time served tradesmen up in arms over it. I don't think they were allowed on the bigger union controlled sites.
So this Electrical Trainee Is not something new.

The Electrical Trainee's you speak of are too set in now for anyone to depose ,but I admire the attempt to get rid of the idea.
Back in the 1960's and 70's they were called dilutees up north, I served my apprenticeship on menial wages learning my trade, working alongside young labourers who were getting better money, A couple of years later, some of these same lads were coming on sites as tradesmen, they had learned their trade in six months, at the time I recall the time served tradesmen up in arms over it. I don't think they were allowed on the bigger union controlled sites.
So this Electrical Trainee Is not something new.

Oh but you can!! Setting a minimum standard for ''ALL'' electricians be they working in industrial maintenance/construction, commercial, or domestic sectors, will effectively rid the industry of these wannabe's. You may have to give a 2 or 3 year amnesty for these folk to meet the minimum standards required to be registered, but once that period has past, they will effectively be breaking the law continuing to operate as these so-called Domestic Installers!!!

NIC(e) idea, no chance of implementation- as outlined. Reasons:

1) The government sets the rules. The scams were set up under the previous governments Big Brother mentality. You need one to notify building control unless you pay lots of money to notify outside of the scam OR you rely on the local building control to be too busy to really know what to do with what you send them. From a notifying perspective the scams are good value for money- end of, unless you want to go down MCS accreditation (another big brother scheme) which if anyone knows how to cheeper outside of a scam I would love to know…

2)Electrical Trainee domestic installer is here and legal, again thanks to last government and jobs for the masses.

Now what you could campaign for is the domestic installer rules to be applied properly. Basically they were designed to let kitchen fitters hook up a new circuit, a plumber to replace a boiler etc, NOT as a substitute for being a qualified electrician. Where you might get somewhere, and I think the current government is open minded on this, is restricting domestic installers to doing what they are qualified for. This means they MAY NOT
re wire houses
wire new houses
replace CUs
carry out periodic inspections
sign off other peoples work
Carry out commercial work
Carry out Industrial work
Fault find (as an offered service) etc

You also need to get the scam operators to play ball. NIC I believe are the worst. NAPIT don't operate a domestic installer scheme, wonder why there are so many NIC members and why I consider the NIC badge to be less than worthless!

I also hate FB, but had a quick look using the wife's account. Sorry but it's ****e. You need to do more than just rant about why your great and everyone else is crap because you've got more qualifications. I have more qualifications than most (chartered Electrical Engineer + 2394/5 etc ) and it doesn't work.

I've no interest in supporting a system that allows reduced skill levels of any kind. I want the scams gone and a license to practice on an individual basis.

Core qualification and NVQ3 being the minimum required qualifications to get a licence.

There is no such thing as a 'Domestic Installer'!

Something I learnt a long time ago:

Pick your fights with care, unless you like pain, pick ones you can win.

You are unlikely to get far just chucking hand grenades about!

If you knew me then you'd know that this isn't just chucking hand grenades about.

I have always been quite presise about my intentions when it comes to the scams, you only have to read my two pieces of written evidence submitted to the parliamentary select committee to see this and watch the oral evidence I gave whilst sat in front of them.

The UK Electricians Save Our Trade site isn't mine, although I am a content creator, and right now is about generating interest, nothing more!

Get interest, get support, then we get our message across, accurately, like a f'ing cruise missile, we hit the scams where it hurts! In their pockets!

I wanted to put another spin on things as i understand the general malaise and apathy towards the Electrical Trainee's as you like to call them. However does that apply to people in my situation who got fed up of a career in the financial services world to follow my original plan of becoming an electrician.

I am doing the recognised C&G 2357 and have been for the past 20 months and inbetween this time i have worked as a sparkies mate for 6 months. Im still looking to get employed by a company who will allow me to see out my training and help me complete my qualification.

I cant get an apprenticeship because im too old so i have to resort to doing anything to get hands on experience. Does this make me a Electrical Trainee then? My workshops take me through the C&G units and i have the certificates to back this up, i also applied the knowledge gained when i was working on sites. So am i still classed as a Electrical Trainee?

I have also applied to college to complete my HNC in Building Environment as a natural step towards my building services engineer qualification, so i dont have the years of hands on the tools yet but im doing everything i can that is humanly possible to do so. For someone getting started in the industry your not exactly painting a good picture of yourselves are you?

Reply to Save our trade! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net