Discuss Scantronic Battery Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanBrown

Hi guys,,
i have a job to find a ''battery fault'' on an old scantronic alarm system, and with no alarm knowledge what-so-ever, i could do with any information you guys have..
With it having the ''battery fault'' on the display, makes it easier - as it obviously says fit a new battery to me.., but info and any tips would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks..
:)

Hey Dan.

I think you've answered your querey already, battery fault = change battery, job done.

You might want to check all battery connections both at battery and PCB to make sure that the problem isn't a bad connection and also measure voltage at terminals on PCB to make sure the panel isn't frying the battery thrugh a faulty rectifier.

Cheers.

What is the correct procedure to fitting a new battery? obviously i dont want to kill the 230v mains supply, as i'll loose all programming as ther's no backup battery...
Also, i take it there will be a tamper on the control panel, so what do i expect?, all sirens? what.. What about access codes to shut it up, or put it into engineers mode?.

Thanks...

Hey mate.

My knowledge on this particular make is limited.

Access codes are unique to every panel theres no way of telling what they are.

The customer should know the code for arming/disarming the alarm, once it is disarmed you should be able to take the cover off with setting the siren off, although the older scantronics didn't work like that, they set the siren off even when disarmed when you removed the cover.

Even if this does happen punching in the code again should stop it.

Once your in you should be able to swap batterries no problem, after you've taken the old one out test the battery terminals before putting the new one in to make sure that isn't the cause of the battery fault.

After fitting the new one you may need to reset the system before it acknowledges the new battery, with the code punched in you should have access to all the user/engineer menu's to enable you to do this.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Guys.. Thats just what i wanted, and thats what makes this site popular..
Great advice for those in-experienced people..
Thanks

im sure i had this problem a few years ago those codes sound right but depends if the engineer codes were changed at install. i think theres something to do with shorting out jumper pins to reset to factory settings if neccessary. you can register online to download manuals but icant remember where , sorry.

Hi have same issue as op . Where is the battery located in the control panel .or is there a separate box outside I need to open to ham access to battery

Hi have same issue as op . Where is the battery located in the control panel .or is there a separate box outside I need to open to ham access to battery
battery sits in the bottom of the control panel. you can't miss it.
Scantronic Battery Fault 1603784509359 - EletriciansForums.net

regs require the label showing the date of installation to be visible and facing you when you look at the battery. You need to ensure the battery ah is up to the job of sustaining the system for the specified time in the manual/manufacturers instructions. You should be able to find them online. The battery calculation is available on line. Batteries should be replaced every five years in any event. To test them you need a clever/expensive bit of kit to show they have the required charge. I have seen where these guys made their own tester with a ballast from a fluor, then test the dc voltage as it discharges. You should see the ah and date on the battery when you open up.

O enter(arrow) 7890 , will put the alarm into engineers mode on the later scantronics , then 99 enter to leave .
Scantronic panels have used 7890 as the default engineer code for the 40 years or more I've worked on them
im sure i had this problem a few years ago those codes sound right but depends if the engineer codes were changed at install. i think theres something to do with shorting out jumper pins to reset to factory settings if neccessary. you can register online to download manuals but icant remember where , sorry.
Some panels have different levels of reset so it is possible to just reset the codes without returning the panel to factory defaults and having to completely reprogramming it
Most panels these days have a remote keypad and also a control panel quite often located in a cupboard or garage usually near the consumer unit

Ah found it I was presuming it was the keypad battery at first I have removed cover abs switched of at the mains
I persume it’s as easy as just sliding it out ?

regs require the label showing the date of installation to be visible and facing you when you look at the battery. You need to ensure the battery ah is up to the job of sustaining the system for the specified time in the manual/manufacturers instructions. You should be able to find them online. The battery calculation is available on line. Batteries should be replaced every five years in any event. To test them you need a clever/expensive bit of kit to show they have the required charge. I have seen where these guys made their own tester with a ballast from a fluor, then test the dc voltage as it discharges. You should see the ah and date on the battery when you open up.

I persume it’s as easy as just sliding it out ?
open panel. enter user code to silence alarm. remove battery ( spade terminals). fit new battery observing correct polarity, close lid. reset panel.

Reply to Scantronic Battery Fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock