• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss SCC rating ... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

In the process of entering data for a recent EICR and could do with a little help to fill in a blank field ...

Short Circuit Current Rating for ... a Wylex 100A 100mA DP RCD BS4293 not time delayed.
I did look when on site, but couldn't spot it on the device, front or sides and don't fancy a long drive back to site to power the site down so I can disconnect it to check the back of it, besides something tells me it would be a wasted journey anyway.​

If anyone can help out with an answer, or can post a link to another forum where this has already been answered that would be very handy thank you ... sorry, but I can't find one, maybe I'm having a bad day using the search facility, but keeping my fingers crossed someone will be able to help.

Thanks
Paul

It's not a main switch within a DB, but an isolator in it's own enclosure in the meter tails.

Maybe I'm being a little ----, but there is a circuit from the meter to the RCD in question, then a circuit from the RCD in question to a set of service blocks that in turn feed a DB and isolator supplying a remote building.

The rcd is rated at 100A for continuous duty, what it is rated at for let through fault current would be different. Why don't you ask Wylex.

wrong terminology in my previous post . The rcd only detects earth leakage . It is not rated to disconnect faults of a ka rating .

What certs are you using ?
I maybe wrong but I disagree, I suspect it does have a maximum fault current rating.

Have emailed electrium who make Wylex but not sure when I'll get a reply as it was well.past office hours hence my asking here in case the wealth of knowledge could give me an answer sooner.

Thanks for feedback to date, will let you know what, if any, reply is forthcoming from Electrium/Wylex.

PIRform is the software in question.

Had a reply from the Wylex people within Electrium which was ...

"If the RCD is installed into one of our units it is tested to 16.5kA.

If it is a standalone item there are no ratings or tests for the RCD units."

So, there you have it from the horses mouth ... so to speak.

Reply to SCC rating ... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back