Discuss Schedule Of Inspections question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Benjjy02

Im sure this is a
regular question on here but here we go again

If the “Routing of cables in prescribed zones” requires ether a tick or a cross on the Schedule of inspections, for i.e. a CU replacement, but the
routing of the cables is a mystery to the installer, What should be
done?

This is for my NICinspection so I appreciate any help

Thanks
Ben

@ malcolmasanford- Im only a rookie at this, but my understanding is with an EIC only a tick or cross is acceptable.

@ topquak- I wouldnt like to disagree with greater men than me, but iv alway been led to believe once you replace the PD then you are responsible for that
circuit. Do you know where it says “only responsible for work done”?

Thanks for your responses

You are issueing an EIC for the work you have carried out nothing else.

So in the 'extent of installation covered by this certificate' box you would write 'upgrading of CU only' When it then comes to the 'routing of cables in prescribed zones' box on the inspection schedule you would write N/A as you havn't installed and cables only replaced the CU.

OK. say you are replacing a CU. the only way to find out if cables are roted in prescribed zones is :

1. lift floor boards to ensure cables are below 50mm deep, drilled through joists, not notched. 2. use a metal/cable detector on the walls to ensure the cables are vertical and/or horizontal from accessories (no diagonal runs).

suppose that cables run under the bathroom floor which is tiled. are you going to rip up tiles and flooring to determine cable location?

that is where the n/a or n/v comes in. what you can't check, you have to enter as malcolm said. no use ticking a box if you can't verify.

record all deviations if you put an X

There shouldn't be an X on an EIC as you are only certifying the work described in the 'extent of installation covered by this certificate' box. ie your work.

I'll throw this one in then, I always put a tick in it. I have stated in the EIC that the certificate is for the replacement of the CU only, hence the schedule is applicable to the work I am doing on the CU. Therefore I have routed all the cables that I have dealt with in a prescribed zone. This also applies when I move accessories and the like so long as I have described where I have done so, ie 'kitchen area only'. Any thoughts on that? I'm always open to corrections and other ideas....

I'll throw this one in then, I always put a tick in it. I have stated in the EIC that the certificate is for the replacement of the CU only, hence the schedule is applicable to the work I am doing on the CU. Therefore I have routed all the cables that I have dealt with in a prescribed zone. This also applies when I move accessories and the like so long as I have described where I have done so, ie 'kitchen area only'. Any thoughts on that? I'm always open to corrections and other ideas....
I would only tick the box, if I had actually installed cables.

if unable to verify something i use N/V rather than N/A.

Fully agree, once you have completed the 'Details Of The Installation' box then you have limited your liability and anything on the Schedule of Inspections can only relate to your work description.

Sorry guys could someone tell me what a prescribed zone is inside a CU. Unless you are extending the cables outside of the CU and your burying the extended cables then yesI would agree you could tick the box.

If you just removing an old CU and fitting a new then I can't see what zones you are talking about.

Last edited:
Sorry guys could someone tell me what a prescribed zone is inside a CU. Unless you are extending the cables outside of the CU and you bury the extended cables then your I would agree you could tick the box.

If you just removing an old CU and fitting a new then I can't see what zones you are talking about.

I agree.

By ticking this box having simply unscrewed one box from the wall and refixed another, you are confirming that work you havn't actually carried out complies with the regs......makes no sense to me at all.

All IMO.:earmuffs:

If your Changing a CU then you must be taking responsibility for the circuits you reconnect, tecnically a PIR should be carried out on the instalation. its your responsibility to make sure that the circuits being reconected are safe. so a PIR and EIC would be needed.. I usually note on the EIC that the cert covers both therefore I normally put a LIM or N/V in the routing of cables box...

If your Changing a CU then you must be taking responsibility for the circuits you reconnect, tecnically a PIR should be carried out on the instalation. its your responsibility to make sure that the circuits being reconected are safe. so a PIR and EIC would be needed.. I usually note on the EIC that the cert covers both therefore I normally put a LIM or N/V in the routing of cables box...
It's quite a common misconception that by issuing an EIC, for an addition or alteration, the issuer is taking responsibility for the existing installation.
This has never been the case, and the IET has taken steps to try to disuade people of this misconception.
The notes on the rear of the 16th and the 17th edition EIC model forms both indicate that EICs should only be used for initial certification and are not be used for PIRs.
Due to the number of people it was found were using LIM on EICs, an addition to the notes at the bottom of the 17th edition schedule of inspection model form was made, which states LIM is "applicable for a periodic inspection only."
In both editions, there is a box for comments on the existing installation, and both editions have a Regulation requiring that any defects or ommisions revealed during I&T, be made good before the Certificate is issued.
We now have the 17th 1st amendment, Which has introduced separate schedules for initial certification, and condition reports.
There is no reference to the term LIM in the model form schedule for initial certification. It is now only refered to in the schedule for a EICR.
We still have the note on the rear of the EIC informing us that the EIC is to be used only for initial certification, and not for a Periodic inspection.
We still have the box for comments on the existing installation.
And we still have the requirement not to issue a Certificate untill any defects or omissions revealed during I&T are made good.
By using an EIC to cover both initial and periodic certification, you would not be complying with BS7671.

Reply to Schedule Of Inspections question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net