Discuss Schedule of Test Results (No 18: Zs) Calculation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's a column for test results. Ideally, you measure the Zs for the circuit using your MFT or earth fault loop impedance tester.

Then you compare your measured figure with the corrected maximum Zs allowed for the OCPD of the circuit for the disconnection time required in order to determine whether your measured Zs is adequate.

It may help if I rephrase this.

Lighting Circuit1: R1+R2, is obtained by carrying out a continuity test, by placing a temporary link between the Line & cpc at the DB, & then recording the resistance between the line & cpc, at the furthest point.

Lighting Circuit2: Is obtained in the same way, as per above.

How do I now get the Ze for each of the above circuits, in order to calculate the Zs, for each circuit? (or is the Ze figure the same for all circuits, with only the R1+R2 figures changing for each circuit, & therefore giving different Zs figures for each circuit).

Yes, Ze, which is normally obtained by measurement, is the same for all the circuits of a board.

If the board is not at the origin of the installation, then Ze for the board is called Zdb and is the Zs of the distribution circuit supplying the board.

Ashley is this a homework/study theory question ? if it is that's fine mate I understand the questions, if this is an install you are doing or considering doing, you shouldn't be until you have understood the inspection and testing procedures and recording of results.

J

Since I posted this, I have come across the following question (Q5b), which gives the answer not as I would have stated. Bearing in mind that the question specifically asks: "b) Where on a circuit must a reading for Zs be carried out", as per follows:

Question 5b. http://www.djtelectraining.co.uk/downloads/ADL 2391 REVIS.pdf

Answer 5b: http://www.djtelectraining.co.uk/downloads/ADL 2391 REVIS.pdf

I would have thought that the reading for Zs is carried out at the origin (i.e. incoming supply side of the DB). And that Zs for the circuit is dependent on the R1+R2 for that specific circuit i.e. Zs = Ze + (R1+R2) & that it is the R1+R2 figure that is taken at the farthest point of any specific circuit. (R1 + R2) is then added to the Ze.

I know it may be being picky, but the SOTR specifically asks for the Zs of the circuit, which is derivable by reading the R1+R2 of that circuit, from the farthest point, & not the Zs.

Also, thanks for all your replies, it is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought that the reading for Zs is carried out at the origin (i.e. incoming supply side of the DB). And that Zs for the circuit is dependent on the R1+R2 for that specific circuit i.e. ZS = Ze + (R1+R2) & that it is the R1+R2 figure that is taken at the farthest point of any specific circuit. (R1 + R2) is then added to the Ze.

your Ze ( external loop impedance ) is measured at the origin. the Zs is measured at the furthest point of the circuit from the origin.

Yes, I am getting my Zs & Ze, intertwined, You can only have the Zs, if Ze & (R1+R2) have been measured. However, I go back to my initial question:

"(Q5b), Where on a circuit must a reading for Zs be carried out", as per follows:

Question 5b. http://www.djtelectraining.co.uk/dow...91%20REVIS.pdf

Answer 5b: http://www.djtelectraining.co.uk/dow...91%20REVIS.pdf

The reading for Ze is carried out at the origin (i.e. incoming supply side of the DB). (GN3: (p53): "Measurement of external earth fault loop impedence, Ze: The external earth fault loop impedence, Ze, is measured using an earth fault loop impedence tester at the origin of the installation."

Is the the Zs for the
circuit therefore not dependent on the R1+R2 for that specific circuit i.e. Zs = Ze + (R1+R2) & that it is the R1+R2 figure that is taken at the farthest point of any specific circuit, & not the Zs figure. (R1 + R2) is added to the Ze, to derive at the Zs figure.

I know it may be being picky, but the SOTR specifically asks for the Zs of the circuit, which is derivable by reading the R1+R2 of that circuit, from the farthest point. The only measurement is the R1+R2 at the farthest point of the circuit, surely it is not the Zs that is being measured at the farthest point.

yes it is. you measure R1+R2 before energising ( dead test ) as you described earlier. say for argument's sake that reading is 0.35 ohms. yo then measure Ze at the origin with the main earthing conductor dissed and the installation isolated. say this reading is 0.2 ohms. you would then expect the Zs at the furthest point to be 0.35 + 0.20 = 0.55 ohms,,, yes? Ok, reconnect the main earth. energise the installation , and measure Zs at the furthest point. you will usually find that it's less than expected due to parallel paths through bonding etc.

You have to measure the Zs at the furthest point as you are trying to establish the total impedance of the circuit to compare against the values in the OSG/BGB, the highest value you obtain is the one to compare against the values to make sure you comply with your disconnection times,now on a single point of use radial like a cooker or shower this would be straight forward, on a ring not so, because you may have spurs off the ring which will increase your resistance and therefore your Zs, so you would check all of the points of use, to obtain the max Zs.

J

So its a less accurate Zs of the circuit, because it is being measured whilst the main earth is connected, & hence, as you say, parallel earth paths are introduced into the equation.

The true Zs of the circuit would therefore be if two tests were made. The first, for the Ze, (at the origin of the installation, & thereby avoiding parallel earth paths) & the second, the R1+R2 at the specific circuit, & then combining the two.

Although, as you say, the two could be combined into one test, but this then is less accurate then the above, due to parallel earth paths.

It's a truer figure of the actual installation.

I did start rattling on but my head isn't working properly and it didn't make sense, time to get the bike out and clear some cobwebs.

Calculating Zs on a circuit is an acceptable way of getting the figure, some *cough* so called bodies say you must do this on any circuit where you can't plug a tester in, I don't agree with calculation, just as I don't agree with asking the distributor for a Ze value for an installation, let me ask you a question Ashley, what advantage does measured have over calculated ? think about what you are testing,and what you are trying to determine ;)

J

Thanks for the reply. I see where you are coming from. I am actually looking at the question/answer in line with what officialdom would require, i.e. those who set the question & decide what the right answer is. That is why I put this into this forum, as even GN3 cannot & does not cover everything/every eventuality.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is arguable that carrying out a Zs test will give you a "real life" reading and so is actually more accurate. This is fine, just so long as any parallel paths giving you an adequate reading don't change (such as a water mains being changed to a plastic incomer).
The advantages of Ze+(R1+R2) are that you are isolating that circuit and so are not dependant on the rest of the installation remaining the same. By linking your line and cpc and testing at each point, you will also be confirming polarity and line switching.
Personally, I use both measured and calculated methods depending on the situation at the time, and I agree with all the reasons why people prefer one method over another.

Reply to Schedule of Test Results (No 18: Zs) Calculation in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock