Discuss Schneider Dimmers & Two Way Switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been at a customers today doing various things, one was to change the switches.

The want a dimmer at the bottom of the stairs and a normal switch at the top.

I have never fitted these Schneider Ultimate Screwless faceplates before and now wish I hadn't started.

Anyway, I have this dimmer and a normal 2 way switch and theres no way to get it working....

It keeps saying a need a special reactive switch and was wondering if anyone else had used these?

Yes defo needs a retractive switch , as per the info on-line , could you show what the connections are at the back of the switch , chances are you would need to put this at the switch wire end , and the retractive switch at the other end,

Another thought , you may need to use 2 cores only on the 3 core & cpc , could you show a picture of the rear of the dimmer ..

I'm just waiting for my phone to sync and ill provide you with a photo thanks.

The other snag is that the power is at the switch too, just to complicate it further.

Hi ok, see photos below.

2014-12-22 17.52.52.jpg2014-12-22 17.52.42.jpg2014-12-22 17.53.23.jpg2014-12-22 17.53.49.jpg2014-12-22 17.54.14.jpg

At the dimmer end I have: (Exclude earth for keeping things simple)
Power supply, so L & N (Black and Red)
Cable going to light fitting, so L, N (Black and Red)
Three core cable going to switch at the top of the stairs, Red, Yellow and Blue

The three core cable:
Red in COMMON
Blue in L1
Yellow in L2

Cable going to light fitting
Neutral (black) connected to the Neutral from the supply
Line (Red) connected into L1

Power supply
Line (Red) L2
Neutral (Black) connected to neutral of light fitting

Switch at the Top
Just the end of the three core, (RED, YELLOW and BLUE)

Red in COMMON
Blue in L1
Yellow in L2

I am sure this is how I connected it, I may be wrong, but think this is what I did.

Im just going to have dinner then will look at this again with you, thanks.

It looks quite straight forward really , the live supply needs to be connected to the live on the switch , you need also to connect in with this the live supply to the retractive switch which would be the red on the 3 core +cpc , then you need to connect one other core of the 3 core to the central terminal , and then the unused core regardless of what it says on the instructions needs to sleeved as cpc on both ends and connected to the earth terminal , The neutral on the supply cable needs to be connected straight to the neutral to the fitting , the live out to the fitting is to be connected on the right hand side so marked as lamp output , This uses the neutral through the lamps to work , so it will not work through LED lamps though....

The retractive switch at the other end would only be using the red core and the other core as used at the central terminal of the dimmer marked RS (remote switch)

Last edited by a moderator:
When you put it like this its straight forward, I must admit I was struggling to get my head around how it worked as it doesn't strictly need a three core which through me some what.

Oh damn, ill have to tell her she will need a different type of switch!

You may find if you contact Schneider that they supply a resistor that can be connected to the out going terminal and the neutral , so as to give it a neutral , if using led lamps , confirm this first with Schneider before speaking to the customer ....

I think the term for this item is a shunt...

Last edited by a moderator:
The other switches you might come across that are very similar are the smiths time guard security switches , they are wired the same way ..

I found the information regarding the LED issue on the Schneider web site , if you have a look on there you may find some more info about what you can do , and whats available , otherwise contact them tomorrow ....

Just to update you, I spoke with Schneider this morning and they do not work with LED's at all, and yes you need a retractive switch if you want two way switching!

Bugger!

Just to update you, I spoke with Schneider this morning and they do not work with LED's at all, and yes you need a retractive switch if you want two way switching!

Bugger!
you can do it with lutron i beleive.

we did a little bit with one before.

too expensive and way ott for most though.

it works by just sending a data signal back to the lutron kit then the kit ramps it up/down or on/off

Reply to Schneider Dimmers & Two Way Switching in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net