Discuss School Job in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigsouth1981

I have been asked by a friend to help price a job up as he has the possibility of some work at a school. He is subbing the work out to an electrician but must price the work up for the parent contractor first

Here are the vague specs he has been handed, so please dont hammer me!! :)

x 4 Flush mounted stainless steel double sockets (worktop height) appx 5m from distribution board - these are to be wired in single cables (2.5mm i presume?)

x 2 ovens, hob, fridge, freezer and dishwasher (all supplied already) to be connected up - all must be individually isolated, labelled and the cookers must be on double pole isolators.

He consequlently has quoted around the £500 mark, including labour / travel etc etc... - he is to supply sockets, wiring and isolators etc.

They company replied that the price was fine but wanted to clarify the following:

- Does this price allow for full new runs from the distribution board in singles, i.e. no twin and earth, no chocolate blocks or spurring of local sockets etc.?
- How many sockets does this allow for? Are they all flush mounted?
- Are all of the appliances (2 ovens, hob, fridge, freezer and dishwasher) individually isolated with labelled switches and double pole fittings for the cookers etc.?
- Does this allow for containment where the electric cables are located within walls?

He has now asked me to clarify if the following questions, and having never done any work in schools i didnt klnow what to advise him...

1. Does each double socket need its own individual supply in singles? or can one 4mm radial or ring be taken to all 4 sockets (wired in 2.5mm singles?)

2. Can two klockner moeller rotart isolators beu sed for the oven isolators?

3. Can the fridge, freezer and dishwasher be isolated via fuse spur's?

4. What containment will he need in order to pass the cables through a wall. Can stainless conduit be used?

Any help would be appreciated guys (and gals...)

A

I have been asked by a friend to help price a job up as he has the possibility of some work at a school. He is subbing the work out to an electrician but must price the work up for the parent contractor first

Here are the vague specs he has been handed, so please dont hammer me!! :)

x 4 Flush mounted stainless steel double sockets (worktop height) appx 5m from distribution board - these are to be wired in single cables (2.5mm i presume?)

x 2 ovens, hob, fridge, freezer and dishwasher (all supplied already) to be connected up - all must be individually isolated, labelled and the cookers must be on double pole isolators.

He consequlently has quoted around the £500 mark, including labour / travel etc etc... - he is to supply sockets, wiring and isolators etc.

They company replied that the price was fine but wanted to clarify the following:

- Does this price allow for full new runs from the distribution board in singles, i.e. no twin and earth, no chocolate blocks or spurring of local sockets etc.?
- How many sockets does this allow for? Are they all flush mounted?
- Are all of the appliances (2 ovens, hob, fridge, freezer and dishwasher) individually isolated with labelled switches and double pole fittings for the cookers etc.?
- Does this allow for containment where the electric cables are located within walls?

He has now asked me to clarify if the following questions, and having never done any work in schools i didnt klnow what to advise him...

1. Does each double socket need its own individual supply in singles? or can one 4mm radial or ring be taken to all 4 sockets (wired in 2.5mm singles?)
No problem designing as a radial or ring. As for csa of singles your designing the circuit.

2. Can two klockner moeller rotart isolators beu sed for the oven isolators?
So long as they are lablled, rotary isolators are ok to use, I put them next to the ovens then copex down to the cooker if it's one of them wheeled efforts, or tube down to a surface mounted cooker outlet.

3. Can the fridge, freezer and dishwasher be isolated via fuse spur's?
They can, but better to use a rotary isolator supplying a socket outlet.

4. What containment will he need in order to pass the cables through a wall. Can stainless conduit be used?
Any containment he likes so long as fire breaks are remade. Personaly I'd use earthed Galv trunk & tube down to sockets all surface.

Any help would be appreciated guys (and gals...)

A

Your mates £500 is way off if they are expecting tube chased in & flushed sockets, no wonder the parent contractor gave the thumbs up they are chuckling all the way to Barclays..

Thanks very much for all your help mate - really appreciate it. What price would you reccommend as I need to call him at dinner time tommorrow.

Once again, thanks for your help,

A

Not having seen the job I can only give a rough guide

Materials £380 ish (less any mark up) & assuming all is ok with existing bonding blah blah blah
Labour £180 - £200 a day + what you pay the helper

Total in the region of £780 to £1000 if only one bloke on the job for no more than 3 days.

Couple of points

It's not clear if all this installation is to be flush if it is do Moeller do flush fitting rotary isolators

How old is the existing installation in the school as some of the older schools have boards that it is impossible to get breakers for or no RCD protection or insufficient ways for the new circuits

I would suggest you visit site before committing yourself to anything price wise

With a price of £500 thrown at the electrics it makes me wonder what work your friend is doing and how cheaply he does that!! or did he miss a zero off the end or even a 2 at the front of his electrical price

With the main contractor accepting the price and asking for some points to be clarified it does make me wonder what budget value was put on the electrical work by the architect

i would highly recommended you inspect main bonding as well, weve recently done a few school kitchens (with it being the 6 week hols) and none of them had any main gas or water bond.

i would highly recommended you inspect main bonding as well, weve recently done a few school kitchens (with it being the 6 week hols) and none of them had any main gas or water bond.

I like this time of year, shed loads of work in schools from periodics to simple door bells

Nice

Reply to School Job in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net