Discuss scissor lift, cherry picker, Ipaf licence? is it..... anyone got it in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
is it called the ipaf licence or the pal licence to be able to operate the scissor lifts and cherry pickers?

anyone know how much it costs roughly to obtain the licence??

cheers luke

bump

Last edited:
International Access Powered Federation (IPAF) is the reconised licnece in the construction industry. If you contact Nationwide Access they will give you the costs but i think it's in the region of £250-300 for the course.

im looking into getting a cherry picker i a license a regulation or just good thinking
i will only be using it by my own so no threat to any one else

is it called the ipaf licence or the pal licence to be able to operate the scissor lifts and cherry pickers?

I realise this is an ancient (!) thread, but it is in fact called the Powered Access Licence (PAL). It is administered by the International Powered Access Federation (IPAF). So technically it is a PAL card and logbook from IPAF.

There are also inspections required under statute law that have to be undertaken by a person competent to do so.
These don't come cheap either.

What are you on about now?? All the OP need s to get is an IPAF ticket for the required category which lasts for 5 years and crack on. Statute law??

Unless I have completely misunderstood the response and he wants to OWN and Operate under his OWNERSHIP a machine, but that wasn't / isn't, my interpretation of the enquiry here.

Await to be scolded now, lol. :wink_smile:

I find that if you use one machine you are better off having the ticket for the two different types 3a,3b as it is cheaper and easier to do the course for both at the same time.

Many people use these machines everyday without a ticket,but if an accident happens and you don't have a ticket(even if it is not your fault)you will be the easy target for the scape goat as it will be your fault.

If you have an accident in one the first thing they want to see is your ticket - a bit like the Police checking the tax disc and tyres on the car in an accident before they check on the drivers.

The stupid thing is all the hire company's will hire it to anyone they don't give a hoot if you have a license to operate it. but as said before I don't think any companys will allow you to operate it on a site

don't use one without a harness either. i was almost catapulted from a Z 80/60. i was about 20' off the ground and manoeuvring around the site when the ground sank. we'd had about 24 hours of torrential rain and the groundworkers hadn't backfilled a trench properly. it was like the nearside front and rear wheels just fell off the earth and the cherry picker tilted at about 45˚. you could safely say that my a*** went. don't let that photograph they show you on the course (of that fella's 'nads) put you off wearing one - just make sure it's not too loose!

If you are going to use one on a site I find that they normally want to see your ticket and photocopy it for their records,this covers them in case something happens,and is normally done at the site induction.

I hear that on some big sites you have to provide proof that you have done the harness training course.
I find that on some sites you don't need to wear a harness for a sissor lift but you always need one for the cherry picker.

I have Both Mobile & Static Cherry Pickers Tickets and have Barely used them since I done my IPAF 3 years ago my Scissor ticket ran out a few years ago haven't renewed it since tbh most Sites want your Tickets but I operated loads of Scissors & Telehandlers on Site without issue before ,The whole Ticket scheme is just a Money making Scam anyways ,Why do you have to renew your Tickets every 5 yrs when you don't have to re-new your Driving Licence which far more Dangerous once you have passed your test.

Why do you have to renew your Tickets every 5 yrs when you don't have to re-new your Driving Licence which far more Dangerous once you have passed your test.

Or why do I have to pay through the nose for every category and everyone that passed pre 97 is able to drive 32 tonnes of lorry, bus, trailers etc because they passed a much simpler version of a basic car test, not bitter or anything :annoyed:

Same for ecs, cscs cards etc. just another 'Give us money because reasons' thing

I did the cause again after my last licence had lapse 3a and 3b , but I had not kept the log book up to date which you need to do so you can take the cheaper renewal coarse.
I ask the teacher how many people had just renewed there licence and done the cheaper course ? his simple answer was NONE !!
It is important to do the cause and best to to both 3a and 3b and the same time but as mentioned renewing every 5 years is a bit over the top

Reply to scissor lift, cherry picker, Ipaf licence? is it..... anyone got it in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock