Discuss Scotland Training Centers and Course Advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

albatronic

I currently work offshore as a electronics engineer, looking to do my 17th edition in the coming months as an option to pick up work onshore also. Just wondering where the best place would be to do my 17th training in Scotland? Also would there be any other courses worth thinking about? Was considering the C&G 2394/95 aswell.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to carry out electrical work then C&G2365 (Electrical Installation) would be more appropriate for you. 2382 is just the 17th regs certificate.

I am already doing electrical installation offshore with 3 phase, single phase systems, low voltage control and switch gear etc just don't have the experience of doing domestic installations, although I do all my own electrical work at home and for friends etc. Lights, shower installation, new sockets, loft lighting, new consumer unit etc. Also experienced with all electrical fault finding on both high voltage and low voltage systems. With this in mind is the 2382 really relevant for someone with my experience?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure then to be honest. Do you just want the minimum to practice or do you want to learn something new? If you already have all the technical ability then a regs course would be beneficial, but you won't learn much. You only really learn it by doing it, as I am sure you know already. I am a run of the mill sparks (buildings and structures), mainly maintenance and breakdowns in commercial & retail but I don't think I would to be able to do your job without shadowing someone for a while.

TJ, I have someone I can shadow which will obviously be extremely beneficial as there are obviously certain industry practices, procedures and tricks of the trade. I'm just wondering if legally or otherwise there are things I would require to get on a site the odd time or pick up some commercial or domestic work. I'll definitely complete the 17th to make sure whatever work I do meets the standard and I'm sure it's expected that every spark is 17th certified.

As Scotland don't have Part P, I don't know what is actually required to work in Scotland. Other than Part P , which only applies to certain parts of domestic work, there does not seem to be anything preventing anyone carrying out electrical work here. We have the JIB and they grade us, and that is worth a lot to employers and sites but not so important to self employed sparks. I am a JIB Approved Grade Electrician. I am required to hold NVQ3, 17th and 2391 for that. You have the SJIB, check out thier website to see what they require.

To be honest the 2382 is in exam in how to read the index of a book, no more no less, you would learn more about the practical application of day to day matters by buying a copy of the IET Students Guide to the IET Wiring Regulations regs and reading it from cover to cover. If you are a member of the IET it is discounted in their web shop.

Hi albatronic. The main part would be what is your qualification for your trade to start with. As having a Large offshore back ground myself but started with my Apprenticeship on the building sites with the SJIB. i know most of the Guys in the Oil haven't come from the building sites so haven't covered what is required for the SJIB grade side of qualifications. Yes i know we cover a lot of fault finding and working on sometimes more complex systems this doesn't cover for the domestic and industry side of standards and grades.

Hello there. We're £350 for the regs course, and £550 for the 2394/5 course if that helps? We're also offering the 2392 as an intro before tackling the 2394/5....which is a hell of an exam.

Cheers

Reply to Scotland Training Centers and Course Advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock