Discuss Scrapping armoured in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I realise the answer to this is probably hidden in the search results, but damned if i can find it!

whats everyone doing with scrap SWA? I've got lots of scrap pieces from 2-10m I'm fed up with keeping. Obviously the larger stuff is worth stripping, but is anything 16mm and under really worth the effort? I hate the job, but if I can strip enough in a house to make the difference in SWA to bright worth it, I will
what's everyone doing?

I realise the answer to this is probably hidden in the search results, but damned if i can find it!

whats everyone doing with scrap SWA? I've got lots of scrap pieces from 2-10m I'm fed up with keeping. Obviously the larger stuff is worth stripping, but is anything 16mm and under really worth the effort? I hate the job, but if I can strip enough in a house to make the difference in SWA to bright worth it, I will
what's everyone doing?

Honestly, I don't even bother with T&E scrap anymore. I give it to a mate who loves the scrimping and messing about.
I'm the same as you, as in so much as I found the cut off point to be 16mm SWA too. Anything smaller and you are working for a pittance stripping and scrapping it.
Bright is usually worth a fourfold more at least than unstripped armoured. Unless I found a warehouse full though, I'd rather be working my normal job than peeling anacondas.

Is it worth bothering with scrap at all these days?

No idea what prices are like!

Is it worth bothering with scrap at all these days?

No idea what prices are like!

Me neither. I haven't bothered with any scrap for a few years now. I do know that all prices are generally down from what we were used to about 5 years ago though.

If you have a few yards in the area ring round for prices first.

Definitely! You'd be surprised how much of a difference there is. We save ours up and take it to a yard 10 miles away. We've got a scrap yard just over the road but what ever you take in there " the price is down on that at the moment".
28 storage heaters (minus the bricks) "not worth nothing mate, but as a favour we'll dispose of them for free"
The scrap yard we go to now we took 8 and they gave us £12!!!!

Give to the apprentice if you don't want it.

I remember in my first year I was on a job where there was a ridiculous amount of scrap and when it got weighed in I was given the same share as everyone else...It was double my weeks wages!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just scrap it as SWA. I do.

We don't strip anything under 10/16mm and just scrap the rest as it is. Still get a bit of money for it, better than a kick in ballacks.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

last time as far as i remember 20 pence a kilo for unstripped swa, 80pence for swa with armour off, sold as pvc, and £3 a kilo for bright.

Um, the 2x10m lengths of 4core 50mm and the 14m length of 35mm 5c I just found , will be worth stripping then lol

I get about 95p for singles, t+e the steel stripped of SWA. The big stuff is usually dealt with by the young lad who gets locked in a cabin

Reply to Scrapping armoured in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock