Discuss Scratching head in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Ok no one will get this....... I've got a old wiring system with an old house black and red.... right in the kitchen I want to change my old strip light to a strip light but in led... upon disconnecting the old strip light I come across 4 cables each with black and red wires.... now only one cable of the 4 is live the rest are dead.... if I put 3 of the cables lives red together and 3 of the earth cables together black I get the lounge light working front room and hallway working luvly... so it leaves one cable remaining thinking great got to be the kitchen light wired it up but dead???? now if I put the red wire with the other 3 wires the black becomes live of the 4th cable????? So I tried the black witch is now live in the new light brown n blue and the earths from the 3 together yes theres light but no light switch... help..... do i need an led with a ballest to work off the switch or am i wiring up totally wrong?????

If you have now disconnected the fitting and all cables are floating about you need an electrician. If all cables have red and black cores we cannot predict which is the switch drop.

We will get this as it’s a very common DIY problem. Search for three plate wiring as were not permitted to have step by step instructions on this form.

You wont need a Junction box no. One red and black will be a switch wire, one red and black will be a feed in and at a guess 2 red and blacks will be feeds out. Google 3 plate lighting wiring diagram and just imagine it with you having a additional feed wire (guessing thats what it is).

Im not going to step by step guide it.

Thank you for your time I shall get it one day lol I'm looking now

Sound like you have a live in, 2 lives out and a switch wire.

Your post doesnt make much sense, can you try and format it a bit better and you might get a more detalied reponse.
If you have now disconnected the fitting and all cables are floating about you need an electrician. If all cables have red and black cores we cannot predict which is the switch drop.
Thank you much appreciated

Indeed. @Colingeeza , you did take photos before pulling it apart, didn't you?
It really is so simple....photo.
More problems occur, though, when you can't understand it anyway.
An electrician is needed...….but make sure he doesn't suffer from conjunctivitis with that box.

As Cher sings....tel.
Bang, bang, the first one's down,
Bang, bang, the next one's down,
Bang, bang, that awful sound,
No bang, the switch wire's just been found.
Na nah nah nah naaaah nah....

Reply to Scratching head in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock