Discuss Screened PV cable. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Has anyone come across screened PV cable?
As a personal interest I have an amateur radio licence. My own PV system (inverter) generates switching noise, which radiates from the DC loops on the roof, causing interference to HF radio reception. I've improved things substantially by installing a pair of HV DC L/C filters at the inverter end but screened DC cables would be interesting to explore.
I suspect that no one manufactures such a thing.

Hi LG and Welcome to the Forum.
If the cables are in good condition, what about a bit of galvanised conduit (solid or flex) connected back to your station earth bar ?

Attachments

• Screened PV cable. 6DEF1895-9EFF-427D-A3AB-8D164D07430A - EletriciansForums.net
    6DEF1895-9EFF-427D-A3AB-8D164D07430A.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2
If the cables are in good condition, what about a bit of galvanised conduit (solid or flex) connected back to your station earth bar ?

Not suitable for outdoor use but flexicon do make conduit suitable for outdoor use.

My underpants are more emi resistant than most of the cy/sy kicking around the wholesalers.
I recommend byson cables.
They are in exhall, Coventry and online.
No good for underpants but will be able to supply the right cable for you

Morning ....actualy a long time member of the forum from back in the PV 'hayday' but I've been out of this game since 2011.
I have considered stainless flexi-conduit but it might mean cutting off all the MC4s at the panels and re-terminating once the conduit is installed. I'm not averse to that but it's a route I'll only take if I have to.

Among the things I have looked at is EMC heatsrink, which contains an EMC 'mesh' and drain wire ....That would work but it's eyewateringly expensive ....so it's impractical. Thanks for the suggestions; at least it seems like I'm not missing anything blindingly obvious ....I'll keep looking.

Hi - I could be talking out of my internet hat, but even a loose cable fed though an earthed containment may have a significant “anti-aerial” effect. I’m thinking of the likely effect of burying 99% of a longwire, for example.

Hi - I could be talking out of my internet hat, but even a loose cable fed though an earthed containment may have a significant “anti-aerial” effect. I’m thinking of the likely effect of burying 99% of a longwire, for example.
Yes, 'containment' is effective. In fact just twisting the cables together into a 'twisted pair' has beneficial effect, because of a cancelling effect that comes into play by doing so - widely used in data cables ...but there are practical challenges in achieving that under a solar array ...it needs quite a bit of thought prior to panel installation. It's easy to twist the cables attached to the panels together but extensions are required for each panel, so the cables reach - this is an approach I might also try.
EMC heatshrink would be ideal, if it weren't ruinously expensive!

Last edited:

Reply to Screened PV cable. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock