Discuss Scutch SDS - black magic or am i pleb in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wade88

I keep reading so much hype about how revolutionary and amazing the scutch is, and how its an essential part of kit etc. So i went and bought an Armeg scutch piece for my sds, (expecting at this point that i would simply have to aim the chisel at the wall and it will produce the most magnificent chases and sink a box like the titanic) but apparently im either a total melon and doing something very wrong, OR, its total pants? I literally have leant on the bugger with all my body weight and im 6ft 2, and it barely seems to chip the brick work let alone start eating its way through it.

Is there some sort of black magic im not aware of with these?

Yea make sure there's a comb in the end lol!

To be honest I haven't used an SDS scutch, only normal scutch chisels and hammers. I would imagine it would tear a hole straight through the wall so you must be doing something wrong!

That right angled thing in the video looked good. How does it work at right angles to the drill?

Which one, the tiling bit or the channeler?

I actually use a tiling bit to dig out backboxes, they are really good for it. The channeller looks brilliant on that video, if only all walls were made of weak as pee Cinder.

the pointy bit with the teeth go to the wall and the roundy bit goes in the drill

I've got a Sds max scutch box cutter to cut out boxes, can't remember who makes it though.great on block and brick not so good on stone.think I got it in speedy about 80 quid a few years ago paid for itself pretty quickly

I use mine all the time when chasing out think it’s a great pieceof kit. The problem may be that you are putting your body weight behind it, I don’t,I just put a moderate amount of pressure against it and it cuts through thebrick easily. If its concrete block you are cutting, you will struggle to cutthat, but you will with anything.

Well ive only tried it on the warehouse supporting walls here where i work, so i have a feeling that probably is concrete block. the scutch just chips the paint work away and then just bounces off..

Hold it with just enough pressure to hold the points against the wall at no impact. If you hold it too tight the chisel doesn't get enough momentum to strike the wall with enough force to break the substrate. I came across the scutch trying to chase engineering brick. It paid for itself within the first hour. PS drill needs to have a reasonable amount of force

Also, have you cut the chase lines before trying to chisel? if not your impact is being spread over the whole surface of the wall, if you have the impact is confined to the area between the cuts. hope this helps

Thanks Jeremy, no i havnt drilled any chase lines i was only trying it out after buying it and just attacked the wall straight up. I was under the impression you see that i needn't bother putting in any chase lines before using the Scutch, and that it would just power its way through. I was obviously wrong! It was concrete block i was attacking however

wade88, scutch tools, both hand and SDS are finishing tools for removing small amounts quickly and evenly, dressing the faces of your roughed out cuts.
Your primary rough cutting tools should be the wall chaser, flat chisel, spade or bolster chisel and channelling chisels.
When using an SDS scutch tool, support the weight of the SDS, contact the surface to be finished with the teeth of the scutch tool, apply the hammer action, start slowly increasing the speed as required letting the tool do the work, work away from your body without forcing the tool. With a little practice you will be producing lovely flat and even facings very soon. You will be amazed by the quality improvement in your first fix work.

Last edited by a moderator:
haha thanks man...i think its fair to say...the answer to my initial question is...i am a massive pleb...

truly humbled. thanks for the help chaps.

If only you lot had seen me, that would have been endless amounts of abuse down the pub for years to come after watching me try and hack a concrete wall appart with my scutch and failing horribly.

Reply to Scutch SDS - black magic or am i pleb in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock