Discuss Sealey Power Drill Intermittent Start in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Simon20

DIY
Reaction score
Hi. I bought a Sealey 750W power drill, and ever since the first day I had it problems began to arise. First, it does not always start smoothly, it starts with a jerk, which can be quite annoying when trying to keep the drill steady on top of a small punch, but the power drill shakes vigorously when the trigger is only slightly touched. For other times to happen nothing at all when I pull the trigger, even several times in a row. Then again, it starts with a tough jerk, making it unable to keep steady.

I have changed the capacitor, the yellow thing connected to the trigger, I have even placed both capacitors in parallel, I have changed the brushes, and even used a different pair of brushes besides the spare ones that came with the drill. I have changed the trigger, in the end, but the very same problem, no improvement at all. I just don't see what else can be replaced, or enhanced.
I have let it run at full speed, to the right, and to the left, thinking that maybe the brushes need to wear out a bit, to achieve full contact onto the commutator. Nothing improved. The same jerking, same nothing happening sometimes, even when pulling the trigger all the way back, for that in a second to start at full speed.

I actually took it apart entirely, and besides this problem, found one of the wires of the stator being outside of the isolation, and touching the metallic corner of the body of the stator itseld, which would have ended up in a short circuit, if not noticed in time.

I would just pretend I did not have 36 pounds, and throw it away, but at full speed it seems very powerful, and besides the intermittent start problem, it seems to work pretty well, no wobbling, no power loss when in use, now also having fixed the stator wire isolation problem, I feel that I need to make it work out of pure curiosity if nothing else for.

Could I find a way to fix the starting issue? Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I've checked the cable with a multimeter, and it's sound. The outlets I've plugged it into are several, all working fine with other tools.

There's a particular issue with the drill, but I'm failing to see what, precisely. I wonder whether I might be so unlucky to have bought a faulty capacitor, or a faulty trigger switch, as replacements.

No disrespect, ipf, but I think the rhetorical question is a wee bit off topic here.

Had I done that, I wouldn't have searched for fixing solutions, to begin with.

Imagine Bear Grylls asking an adventure amateur why has he left the city if he knew jungle is a challenging place.

Because very few things that I bought and found to be slightly faulty I sent back. I usually manage to fix them, and not bother with the return post office time waste.

Fixing something teaches you something. Everyone can be waiting in a queue at the post office, few can be proud of having their stuff fixed by themselves.

If you look at my badge, says DIY, and the last part of my initial post answered your question straight off.

But, again, this is off topic, so, if there's anything else that I'm missing out about this problem, please, I'm still waiting for professional wisdom.

Cheers.

No disrespect, ipf, but I think the rhetorical question is a wee bit off topic here.

Had I done that, I wouldn't have searched for fixing solutions, to begin with.

Imagine Bear Grylls asking an adventure amateur why has he left the city if he knew jungle is a challenging place.

Because very few things that I bought and found to be slightly faulty I sent back. I usually manage to fix them, and not bother with the return post office time waste.

Fixing something teaches you something. Everyone can be waiting in a queue at the post office, few can be proud of having their stuff fixed by themselves.

If you look at my badge, says DIY, and the last part of my initial post answered your question straight off.

But, again, this is off topic, so, if there's anything else that I'm missing out about this problem, please, I'm still waiting for professional wisdom.

Cheers.
If you're after 'professional wisdom', perhaps you should pay for it.

Being a DIY enthusiast, why not go to the DIY section of the forum.

If you want to learn, you can always register for a course.......or do some reading as a bit of an interest. You could even learn something off one of the DIY videos doing the rounds about the different instruments required for testing or fault finding.
Look up details about the machine or ask the manufacturers for advice.
It's obvious that the machine needs a good, overall inspection. So take it to someone who has the ability to carry out such a task.

Is this drill brand new from a shop or second hand? If it's the former then I would have took it back, if the latter then it's probably why it was sold on.

It's a universal brush motor. The capacitor is not required for motor operation, it's only for radio interference suppression. Is it variable speed? If so, is the speed controller part of the trigger assembly?

Reply to Sealey Power Drill Intermittent Start in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock