Discuss security alarm fault in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hi all,
just been to look at a security alarm thats stopped working. make is "citadel xr2" installed 10 years ago

mains is ok, no fuses blown in control panel, power at 12v outputs for pir's etc. when you turn the spur off the bell box starts going ape, turn power back on and it goes back to normal.

the remote keypad seems to be the only thing missbehaving at this early stage. theres 12v at the keypad but it doesnt do anything, its like its totally dead, except for the illumination of the buttons.

basically told the customer that im unsure whats up at the minute, but suspect a new keypad might solve the problem??

any thoughts or ideas??

security alarms arnts really my speciality

rich

I would say you need to replace the battery in the panel, i deal with optima panels and when the battery fails, it locks the keypad, then when you simulate a power failure by switching the spur off there is no back up hence the panel thinks an intruder has cut all power and bell box sounds.
Try that mate.
Let me know.:D

nice one cheers mate was about to add to the post that the service record doesnt indicate a battery change in 10 years so, sounds promising. i checked the charging terminals for the battery and there outputting 12v, do i need check its putting the right milli amps through as well?

rich

Used to fit alarms,and first thing I thought of is battery.

The bell box relies on a signal called 'hold off' to literally hold the bell off from ringing. This can be poss or neg hold off depending on panel and bell box.

If battery is duff, when you turn mains off, there is no hold off any more.

I would bet a pound to a piece of s**t a new battery will cure it. If it does'nt , I will show my a**e in Woolies window !:eek:

ha he, nice one, will get a new battery tomorrow and pop round 2moro night and see if it works.

rich

just been out to change the battery on this job tonight, popped new battery in and its all ok now.

customer did want an extra socket fitting as well, would of been an hours work.

had a quick look at there consumer unit and its an old wylex one, with no rcd's. i said that whatever work i do would need protecting by an rcd, so contemplated fitting an rcd double socket as they aint up for a consumer unit change!!

also said i need to check there main equipotential bonding on the gas and water, went to gas meter box and nothing there, same with water under the sink. ive left the job basically saying that i cant do the socket unless i sort the bonding out, get the impression the thought i was lifting there legs!!

this is right what ive said and done isnt it?!

Thought battery would do it !

Regards socket, all you can do is what they want and tell them about what needs to be done. Why not get some duplicate 'recomendations' sheets printed that both parties sign, then you have a record !

is this right then you can do the work if you both sign some paper, i always thought if theres no bonding then its no work?

Dont know about it being 'right' as such. Would it stand up in court......dont know. Its an idea though. If it was me, I would probably do it.

It's one of those annoying things in this industry that no matter how unsafe an installation is we do not have the power to switch it off. I agree with the recommendations sheet idea but if you really want to impress on the customer the potential risks he is taking bash out a disclaimer, highlighting the faults, and saying that he accepts full responsibility for any incident or problem which may arise as a result of him not having the necessary work carried out. It might change his mind but if it doesn't it will cover you, just remember to keep it safe.

Wo wo wo wo wo, lets get one thing str8, it don't matter what u agree with the customer, if you don't work to bs7671 you are asking 4 it, remember its our principles and integrity to do the job right that seperates us from the cowboys, if they want you to cut corners walk away.

And never cut the seals.;)

Agree with the walk away but the disclaimer shows that you have pointed out the potential problem and that the customer cannot turn round and say, at a later date, "He never told me that". It is mainly to cover yourself when you walk away from it and prevent the possibility of his word against yours.

Reply to security alarm fault in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock