Discuss security flood light in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wannabesparky

can anyone tell me if it is possible to install a security flood light coming from an upstairs ring main as a socket is close to where the light needs fitting but the occupant doesn't want any cables or anything showing outside or the decor disturbing inside in any way.
is it possible to put a fused spur next to the socket and come off that and if so what fuse would be used?
it is a 250w flood light

only just started to take up my college work again.
sensible answers only thank you.

500/230 = 2.17 could even get it on a 3A if you want, I'd go 5A though; plenty for cable (assume youll use .5mm flex or equiv?)

is that ok for a 500w flood light aswell

Someone not listening in here? Eh? Pardon? What?

Let's speak CLEARLY for the chap here........

Simple maths. Simple maths that you learn in the first few DAYS of any college course. You haven't studied for a while, OK, but come on, what have you been doing to forget even the basics? Are you honestly sure you should have that screwdriver anywhere near mains?

230VAC supply. 250 Watt fitting. Watts/Ohm's Law.... V x I = P voltage times current = Power, or in this case - you want to find current, so.... Power, divided by voltage = Current. 250/230 = 1.08A - 3A fuse.

230VAC Supply. 500W fitting. Same sum, off we go......

500/230 = 2.173913A, call it 2.18A = use a 5A fuse for longevity.

Not rocket science.

Reply to security flood light in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi. I'm an I.T.. engineer with some outdated electrical experience. I qualified C&G 2330 17th edition about 15 years ago, but my only experience...
Replies
Views
I would like to add a flood light camera and outdoor outlet to the front of my house where there is no existing wiring. I plan to get power from...
Replies
Views
I am looking at installation of an architectural dimmer, that is will supply 6 channels, with 20A circuits each (2400W ea). Our hall has can light...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I’m looking to install an outside light as a spur from a socket on a ring main. There is already a spur from this socket supplying...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I have some industrial lighting circuits to wire in a workshop and was after some fresh ideas/suggestions as to how i could best do this...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock