Discuss Security Light Problem. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ran a security light off a fluresent light in kitchen.
Used 4 port supply push in wire connecter.
Earth and neutral wires connected inline to existing terminal blocks.
When I turn "OFF" bathroom fluresent light after use, the security light turns on.
What's causing this please?
Thanks!!

Neutral being switched on the floro.

Did you mean to say supply came from kitchen and turning off bathroom causes security light to come on?
Did you mean to say supply came from kitchen and turning off bathroom causes security light to come on?
Supply cable I assume comes from "bathroom too kitchen" as its closest to Consumer Unit.
Yes at night turning off bathroom switch causes Security Light to come on for the set period.

Does the security light operate normally when the bathroom light is on?
Does it operate normally when the bathroom light is off?

I'd be checking the terminals at the bathroom light switch anyhow, doubt that's the problem though

Is this a 3-plate arrangement with supplies at the lights and twins dropped to switches

On a different tack - might the security light be seeing light emanating from the bathroom?
It's presumably supposed to respond to IR from a person, and/or movement, but if it was detecting 'dusk' when the bathroom light goes off, might that switch it on?
Masking the detector should show one way or the other ?

On a different tack - might the security light be seeing light emanating from the bathroom?
It's presumably supposed to respond to IR from a person, and/or movement, but if it was detecting 'dusk' when the bathroom light goes off, might that switch it on?
Masking the detector should show one way or the other ?
The light is outside my kitchen door overlooking back garden.
Bathroom is some distance away.
Thanks for reply!

Is everything back fully functional

Prob a simple answer I guess

It looks like the chassis tag on the fluorescent is no longer connected to the terminal block ?

In the absence of many obvious answer

If everything is in order with the installation wiring and the new pir light wiring

I would be checking the switch terminals and probably checking if the issue occurs with an incandescent bulb connected at the bathroom

Seen something strange happen before switching off fluorescents

More than likely the answer is more obvious than that though

Reply to Security Light Problem. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net