Discuss Security Lights / Cameras in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

ACB

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

My garage is fed from a fuse on the CU in the house and then has another in the garage.
It has 2 RCD's? one for lights and one for sockets.
CU.jpg

I have the security lights and they have the Brown +'ve, Blue neutral and Green/Yellow Earth.

So the question is whats the best and allowable way to connect two of these into the existing wiring. I am assuming its not allowed to just cut the lighting supply wire and choc block the security lights into the supply.
IMG_20170911_171102604.jpg
Whats the allowable method to connect in?

I will then do the same for the security lights into the plug socket line.

Cheers for your advice.

Welcome to the forums :)

Unless I missed the test button, the devices in your garage consumer unit are circuit breakers, not RCDs.

Chocblocks are fine if they are properly contained in an enclosure, which should include strain relief for the cables, and under no circumstances should you connect these directly to the socket circuit.

Alternatively (and I agree with @telectrix ), this sounds like a very straightforward job (from the information provided, I would say no more than a couple of hours) and should not cost too much to have a local spark do the work... they will also be able to test the installation to make sure it is safe.

Unless I missed the test button, the devices in your garage consumer unit are circuit breakers, not RCDs.

Wasn't sure, thats why i put the ?

Chocblocks are fine if they are properly contained in an enclosure, which should include strain relief for the cables, and under no circumstances should you connect these directly to the socket circuit.

So this enclosure would be ok then
Schneider Electric Round 4-Entry Junction Box with Knockouts Grey 85mm - http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/schneider-electric-round-4-entry-junction-box-with-knockouts-grey-85mm/40613#product_additional_details_container

Whats the reason for not using the socket circuit?

if you were to use the socket circuit, you'd need to fuse down with a FCU to suit the cable used for the load/s. as i said befoer, get an electrician in. we don't all earn £150K.

My garage is fed from a fuse on the CU in the house and then has another in the garage.
It has 2 RCD's? one for lights and one for sockets.

I have the security lights and they have the Brown +'ve, Blue neutral and Green/Yellow Earth.

So the question is whats the best and allowable way to connect two of these into the existing wiring. I am assuming its not allowed to just cut the lighting supply wire and choc block the security lights into the supply.
not part p the work then!

The house is a bit over 2 years old!
Is the circuits not to regulations?
It wouldn't surprise me if Taylor Wimpey used someone who didn't do the job properly.
it is not them I am think about . its you . if you are putting a new circuit for sec/lights

Ah so for part p to should have another circuit breaker for the security lights?

No, you don't need another circuit breaker. In the context of this conversation, Part P is most relevant in terms of whether building control should be notified about the work being carried out.

As you're in England which is covered by the 2013 edition, which does not list outside as a special location/installation as the 2010 version does. As this is a modification to an existing circuit which is not in a special location/installation, no notification is required.

To put the cost into context... I'm assuming you already have the two security lights... I'd be looking to charge £80 (two hours of my time) plus materials which would depend on location of cable exits etc. and can't be quantified with the information available here, but I'd say about £20, so £100.

For that, you'd get the job done to BS7671, you'd get a Minor Electrical Installation Works certificate for the circuit that was worked on and peace of mind from the fact that you didn't die in the process and the installation is safe (due to the testing carried out - testing that can only be done with the right equipment and knowledge of how to use it and interpret the results it provides).

or you could always get a plumber or kitchen fitter to do the job, but make sure your house insurance is in date.

Reply to Security Lights / Cameras in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net