Discuss Security lights help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello wondering if anyone can help me. I have 2 LED security lights, each one has their own pir and is wired in sequence. So once light 1 has detected motion, light 2 wont turn on so just a 2 core and earth used

so, switched fuse spur, into first junction box with light then onto 2nd(used wiska junction boxes)

Worked absolutely fine for a year then all of a sudden they’ve stopped working on motion, but the funny part is when i override they both turn on. Once reset, they work on PIR for the first time then stop again?. The brand is ansell which i believe to be pretty well respected?

Any help is extremely appreciated

Can you clarify something. The “wired in sequence” part.

When light 1 detects motion, it brings on the light and then feeds to light 2?
Or has light 2 got an identical live feed to light 1?

Can you clarify something. The “wired in sequence” part.

When light 1 detects motion, it brings on the light and then feeds to light 2?
Or has light 2 got an identical live feed to light 1?
Does need clarification, but reads like the output of the first PIR feeds the first light and the feed to the second light containing its own PIR.... And if it has worked and now doesn't the first PIR would seem to be the first point to check..

But its a guessing game with the limited info :)

Thanks for your answers, its much appreciated! The lights are wired as like a T, feed in to first junction box left side, feed out to the right, the light comes into the bottom and is connected (stuffing glands used). Im presuming this is right as its worked as it should before.

Anyway, ive turned both sensor’s into day now to test and they are working again! Providing they work, i will gradually start to adjust the sensors again.

Thanks for all the help!

Hi - I have found the PIR part of an external light to be “the weakest link” and they often play up over winter. The little box they’re in with its adjustment knobs, hinge and cable penetration is not as well protected from the elements as perhaps it could be, is my thought.

i tend to but the ones with remote control these days.once it's fixed on the wall. all the setting up (timer/lux/etc.) is done from ground level with handset in 1 hand and a pint in the other. sod this trying to ID them stupid controls under the PIR, then finding that you need a 3mm terminal driver to adjust and it's the 1 bit out of the Wiha slims that you left on the last job.

i tend to but the ones with remote control these days.once it's fixed on the wall. all the setting up (timer/lux/etc.) is done from ground level with handset in 1 hand and a pint in the other. sod this trying to ID them stupid controls under the PIR, then finding that you need a 3mm terminal driver to adjust and it's the 1 bit out of the Wiha slims that you left on the last job.
Thanks for that mate i totally agree with you they are a pain. I will look at these next time, i have seen them before but only the cheapo versions. I take it you use these all the time and they are reliable?

Thanks for that mate i totally agree with you they are a pain. I will look at these next time, i have seen them before but only the cheapo versions. I take it you use these all the time and they are reliable?
only fitted a few, but not had any problems.

Reply to Security lights help please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock