Discuss Seeking some advice from qualified electricians or someone in the know in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

brianoi

DIY
Reaction score
My partners ex husband installed a trunking strip in the office of the house. There are x4 double sockets x1 single socket and multiple data connections. This is all ran off 1 outlet from and existing double socket. The plug is rated at 10A. Just curious what legal requirements are for this. She is about to sell the house and he has no certification for it as it was a DIY job. Does this need to be certified by a qualified electrician. I know you can run multiple outlets off a 13A existing spur but do any new installed outlets need to be certified.
Thanks in advance
Brian

My partners ex husband installed a trunking strip in the office of the house. There are x4 double sockets x1 single socket and multiple data connections. This is all ran off 1 outlet from and existing double socket. The plug is rated at 10A. Just curious what legal requirements are for this. She is about to sell the house and he has no certification for it as it was a DIY job. Does this need to be certified by a qualified electrician. I know you can run multiple outlets off a 13A existing spur but do any new installed outlets need to be certified.
Thanks in advance
Brian

The multiple plug sockets off the existing socket; are the protected by Fused Conection Unit? This serves to protect the piece of wire connecting the new sockets to the existing sockets (by way of a fuse, normally 13A (this helps prevent the new sockets combined load exceeding what the connecting cable can handle).

If they are connected straight of the the existing socket then they will not be to code (see Appendix 15 BS 7671). The rule is for every socket on a ring you can attach 1 spur (2 gang or 1 gang) sin pile put if your ring had 5 sockets, you could add 5 additional 'spurs'.

If however the spur from the existing socket is a Fused Conection Unit (FCU), then the amount of sockets you can attach from that unit are unlimited - As mentioned earlier; the purpose of the FCU is to protect the length of wiring coming off the ring circuit to the fused connection unit - The fuse will blow before the wire is overloaded - says the theory

A video may help;

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7IKKELfxoO0

This is all ran off 1 outlet from and existing double socket. The plug is rated at 10A

Sounds like they are connected via a plug plugged into an existing socket. In which case, it is a moot point whether it is even part of the electrical system, it's more like a permanently installed extension lead. Not the best way to do it, but if the plug fuse protects the cable, not necesarily dangerous.

Thanks for quick reply and clarification. Yeah the single plug connecting the trunking unit is connected to the FCU. The fuse plug will go before anything and its 2.5mm wire so no real concerns danger wise.
Was just pretty curious if it would need any legal certs don't want them getting stung when surveyor comes out, but you're right it's pretty much just a permanently installed extension lead.

Cheers again

Thanks in advance
Brian
The new sockets need to be fed from 13A fused connection unit this will in turn limit your new sockets to a total of 13Amps As you are altering an existing circuit a MNEWs Minor New Electrical Works certificate will be needed.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's fed from a 13A plug to be honest. The 13A fuse in the plug provides protection.

However, you mention the plug is marked 10 Amps. If this is the case I would replace it with a decent quality 13A one.

Out of interest, is it round flex into the plug?

Just want to get correct paperwork for it when surveyor comes round to do inspection for home report.
Yeah round flex. I'm going to replace out the 10A plug wire and put two 13A plugs either side of the trunking. There is another double outlet opposite side of trunking so want to break the circuit up and share the load across the circuit.
Its massive overkill what he done . X3 ethernet connections in the trunking as well although using wireless router but not running a home network and only a laptop in there. Looks pretty though ?
I will upload picture of it in an hour to give you a better idea.

His handy work
If I'm seeing your photos correctly the trunking sockets are fed via a 13Amp plug, whilst not technically unsafe, it is nothing more that an extension lead fitted into a containment of PVC trunking and at least in my opinion constitutes as a temporary installation, and should be treated as such, fit a13Amp FCU wire it in Appropriately sizes Single cables, test and complete a MNEW certificate. Failing that outcome test as per CoP ISITEE.

Thanks in advance
Brian
Have any prospective purchasers queried it ?

Me thinks this could be a case of OCS (Official Certificate Syndrome)

Can you clarify what you mean when you say you are going to fit 2 13A plugs.
Edit: I see you are splitting it. I was worried for a minute.

I wouldn't bother changing it to be honest. If you add the loads up it will probably only come to a few amps.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say you are going to fit 2 13A plugs.
Think the OP means the new sockets will be supplied vis a 13Amp plug top plugged into socket on the RFC, could be off kilter mind you.

Think the OP means the new sockets will be supplied vis a 13Amp plug top plugged into socket on the RFC, could be off kilter mind you.

I think they are intending to split the sockets in half. Not sure though.

If it’s going to be a problem, take it away.
4 Screw holes in the wall to fill. No biggy.
Then you can take the glorified extension lead away with you.
Or you could feed it from a FCU and do it properly, no need to bin it completely is there?

Last edited:

Reply to Seeking some advice from qualified electricians or someone in the know in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net