Discuss Selection of MCB for SPD protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I need to install a type 1+2 SPD into the main panel of a small business building, which needs lightning protection.
The main breaker in the main panel is a 4 poles 40A MCB.
I was looking for a SPD and I found this: Schneider A9L16634.
In the technical specification sheet it says "Associated circuit breaker NG125N 80A curve C - Icu 15 kA".
I was wondering why the associated breaker needs to have such a high current (80A)? It seems i cannot ensure the selectivity of the breakers.
Could anyone explain what can happen if i use a smaller breaker, for example a 32A one for the protection of the SPD?

Thank you.

If it is a Type 1 it is probably designed to be at the source (intake).
If your board is protected by a 40A MCB it sounds like a secondary dist board, where just a type2 might do?
Generally follow manufacturers advice.
Perhaps the board you are using doesn't have 32A breakers with sufficiently high short circuit breakage capacity (kA)?
If a breaker is used with insufficient capacity it may be damaged in the event of a surge and not disconnect properly resulting in damage to equipment you are trying to protect?

Reply to Selection of MCB for SPD protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there , Currently doing a college project where i need to select protective devices for the contract. I'm now at the point of selecting SPDs...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Grateful for your expertise regarding my confusion on the below. Context: French rural domestic property Single phase supply, TT...
Replies
Views
Hi, now everything is SPD's I've been told they need to be on their own MCB. So incoming line goes through the main switch then busbar then MCB...
Replies
Views
I'm obviously still new and learning about what I can and cannot do, but essentially I want to install an EVSE at my own house for an electric...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock