Discuss Self cerification of work but non member of ECA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
After a bit of advice as it seems starting from scratch and becoming a member of NIC or similar has mixed reviews on here....
Looking at starting up self employed again when on leave from work, after a few years working offshore.
Im Getting my tester sent off to be calibrated and over the next few months hoping to be starting something again? Fingers 🤞
My problem is around paying to be a member of an organisation just for the hell of it? I have all the required certs, C&G testing and inspection, 18th edition, 30 years out of my time served apprenticship and have Carried out loads of initial and periodic testing/Inspections.
Is membership really required as the word competent is banded about alot in the regs with regards to 'electrical work' and testing... so thoughts are, if I have all the required certs, calibrated test equipment and i complete test sheets correctly then is this not as good as the next guy (or girl) who does the same but has a few extra letters on their invoice?

Cheaper to just get registered with competent person scene.

notifyable works need notifying. General cost of this with your local building control is £150 plus.

3 notifiable jobs and you get your registration paid. Any after that profit.

plus a lot of customers will not use an unregistered spark.

so my opinion. It may not be a perfect system but get registered Anyway.

Cheaper to just get registered with competent person scene.

notifyable works need notifying. General cost of this with your local building control is £150 plus.

3 notifiable jobs and you get your registration paid. Any after that profit.

plus a lot of customers will not use an unregistered spark.

so my opinion. It may not be a perfect system but get registered Anyway.
Cheers for the reply, makes sense when you put it that way. As you say its not a perfect system but our hands are tied really. I've always thought Its all about the money with these organisations as what do you get for the yearly subscription apart from being aloud to say your a member.....
Which one is best will be the next question 🤔

Cheers for the reply, makes sense when you put it that way. As you say its not a perfect system but our hands are tied really. I've always thought Its all about the money with these organisations as what do you get for the yearly subscription apart from being aloud to say your a member.....
Which one is best will be the next question 🤔
All about the money.

Yes it’s a business trying to make lots of money for its shareholders, it’s not a government funded scheme. I suspect if it was a government funded scheme it would cost even more.

Private business is always more efficient than the expensive slow cogs of government.
iv never understood why.

After a bit of advice as it seems starting from scratch and becoming a member of NIC or similar has mixed reviews on here....
Looking at starting up self employed again when on leave from work, after a few years working offshore.
Im Getting my tester sent off to be calibrated and over the next few months hoping to be starting something again? Fingers 🤞
My problem is around paying to be a member of an organisation just for the hell of it? I have all the required certs, C&G testing and inspection, 18th edition, 30 years out of my time served apprenticship and have Carried out loads of initial and periodic testing/Inspections.
Is membership really required as the word competent is banded about alot in the regs with regards to 'electrical work' and testing... so thoughts are, if I have all the required certs, calibrated test equipment and i complete test sheets correctly then is this not as good as the next guy (or girl) who does the same but has a few extra letters on their invoice?
More customers have heard of nic than napit,and you can transfer to ac later if you expand,but for domestic work they do the same thing for registering notifiable jobs.
S

Reply to Self cerification of work but non member of ECA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net