Discuss Self Certification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tomhw100

Evening Gentlemen I am currently an electrician working for a firm in Essex, i have done a full apprenticeship AM2 NVQ L3,Wiring regs (17th) and P.A.T testing. I served my whole apprenticeship working on new builds, extensions rewires etc and the firm I work for now keeps me going 5 days a week (at the moment) rewiring, upgrading and periodically inspecting and testing council properties mainly. I have been with this firm 2 years and in this time i have started to pick up a few private jobs along the way-i get these signed off by my brother in law who's NIC registered. My question is: is it worth me joining A registered body even though i may not do a lot of private work, whether it be NIC,Nappit or elecsa and sign these off my self or is there another alternative-is any one else in the same predicament? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated cheers Tom

Not sure how you'll register with a scheme and at the same time keep it behind your bosses back. He finds out your doing privates you'll pretty much get sack on the spot.

You don't have to join a scam, you just gotta pay the price for notifications if you don't ... which pretty much means you won't make anything on any job. When you join a scheme you'll have to make sure you've got some sort of job to show them whether it's at home or not .... and even though they say you can arrange for the NIC inspector to visit he's never free on you're chosen day....guarantee he'll be 'in town' when your supposed to be at work.

Evening Gentlemen I am currently an electrician working for a firm in Essex, i have done a full apprenticeship AM2 NVQ L3,Wiring regs (17th) and P.A.T testing. I served my whole apprenticeship working on new builds, extensions rewires etc and the firm I work for now keeps me going 5 days a week (at the moment) rewiring, upgrading and periodically inspecting and testing council properties mainly. I have been with this firm 2 years and in this time i have started to pick up a few private jobs along the way-i get these signed off by my brother in law who's NIC registered. My question is: is it worth me joining A registered body even though i may not do a lot of private work, whether it be NIC,Nappit or elecsa and sign these off my self or is there another alternative-is any one else in the same predicament? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated cheers Tom
No we are professionals on here.

If HMRC get you , you will be in for it , I have heard theres people out there posing as customers , and don't forget people Know other people , also if job is registered its also traceable anyway ,,,

No we are professionals on here.
as usual asking for advice and people take the pee why are you a professional and im not-just because you are nic registered lol i tested jobs by 'apparent' NIC certificated electricians and found sockets with no earths rings in rings etc it means nothing. im a sub contractor but work for the firm full time so i can have days off when i choose to-as for the signing off he comes to my jobs and checks that they are satisfactory before he will agree to sign them to be fair i didn't actualy think this was breaking the law otherwise i would never of done it.

as usual asking for advice and people take the pee why are you a professional and im not-just because you are nic registered lol i tested jobs by 'apparent' NIC certificated electricians and found sockets with no earths rings in rings etc it means nothing. im a sub contractor but work for the firm full time so i can have days off when i choose to-as for the signing off he comes to my jobs and checks that they are satisfactory before he will agree to sign them to be fair i didn't actualy think this was breaking the law otherwise i would never of done it.
who mentioned the NIC I didn't lol

To be fair, may be you should call the NIC and ask them if what you brother in law is doing, is within the scope of his "membership" and see what they tell you.

who mentioned the NIC I didn't lol
Excuse me I may have took that for granted then-I just cant see how you can say i'm not a 'Proffesional just because i work for a firm and do the odd private job-i thought 'real' electricians were meant to stick together im not a kitchen fitter,diyer or part p week course electrician you know!

Excuse me I may have took that for granted then-I just cant see how you can say i'm not a 'Proffesional just because i work for a firm and do the odd private job-i thought 'real' electricians were meant to stick together im not a kitchen fitter,diyer or part p week course electrician you know!
Glad to hear it Tom.

To be fair, may be you should call the NIC and ask them if what you brother in law is doing, is within the scope of his "membership" and see what they tell you.
blimey really rattled your cage hasn't it ive only asked for advice Murdoch- ive done it on 3 jobs and now considering going NIC why is that such a problem to you?how do people normally start out? im sorry i asked!

a bit like the `rings within rings`...and the `no continuity of CPC` stuff courtesy of some of their "competant" members that i also read in here.....dont do much about that either...do they

Reply to Self Certification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net