Discuss Self employed advice needed....again.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm starting to sound like a broken record but I have a few more queries.....

So officially I'm self employed as of this week. I have taken on an office rewire job through a family friend which should keep me busy until the spring time. I also have some electrical engineering work at a few of my previous employers sites, covering shifts and working in shutdowns.

I'm already getting asked about some domestic work, which at the minute "i'm a little busy for them but I'll be in touch soon"

I plan to register with the NICEIC just as a domestic installer as this is all I really need going forward but my main concern is, how do I go about rewiring a house or changing a fuse board etc, when I'm not with an associated body? Can I do the job, test, certify etc... then when I'm ready for NICEIC registration, take them to that job? Even if its a few months between.. I'm aware there is a time limit to submit documents to local building control for any notifiable work that falls within Part P blah blah but for me to contact the local building control to come and "access" my work, it would cost me money which makes no sense when the NICEIC was the best part of £1000 and the local building control will probably rinse any profit from the job.

Can I do the domestic notifiable work, sort out my NICEIC and then take the inspector to my notifiable work, even if I've technically not notified it because I've been awaiting NICEIC inspection, get my NICEIC domestic installer badge and then finally notify the work....

Hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated

I have personally known people do it this way...
do notifiable work ‘on the side’ when employed , eventually go self employed then go back to those side jobs some weeks or even months later so to use as ‘jobs’ for joining a scheme.
equally you can just change your own fuse board and use that as well

I can't give you any advice on getting CP scheme registered. I can tell you that if you have the necessary qualifications then you can register your work with LBC for a much smaller but not insignificant cost. For example I contacted my LBC and registered my own dwellings complete rewire from the cut out for £180. So you should contact your LBC to find out the score with them and don't take no for an answer. Somewhere on the resources bit of this site is really good information as to what qualifications LBC are guided to accept as competent.

all depends on your local BC officers ,here in west lancs ,wigan and chorley borough,if i send a cert in with my 2391 they accept it.Not in a sheme any more , not for 6 years also no fees.

all depends on your local BC officers ,here in west lancs ,wigan and chorley borough,if i send a cert in with my 2391 they accept it.Not in a sheme any more , not for 6 years also no fees.

since I am no longer scam registered, I have had to do this method twice.
both times it has been excepted and the job signed off.
im not convinced it’s the way it’s supposed to happen but its the only option I have as I simply don’t do enough domestic work

Reply to Self employed advice needed....again.. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock