Discuss Self Employed Domestic Installer - Going it alone, advice on testing my installations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Paul Downham

Hi all,

I am a qualified electrician about to go self employed. I have my 2330 and 17th edition but I am about to start certifying my own work and I am in the process of buying a multi function tester. I have a couple of questions;

1) Advice on what make of tester to buy, kewtech KT62, 64 or 65? Megger MFT1552?

2) I am finding the testing process a bit daunting, i.e making sure I test correctly. I have recently purchased x2 books, 'Practical Guide to Inspection, Testing and certification of Electrical Installations' by Kitcher and the new NICEIC 'Inspection, Testing and Certification'.

Although these are great books I feel I need some practical advice because I feel it would be embarssing in front of a customer with me fumbling around with my meter and using a guide book!

Could anyone give me some advice or even offer to show me the testing ropes if they are working around the Bishops Stortford, Essex area and doing some testing of installations? I know of the fundamentals from my 2330 exams but this was a while ago and I could do with some help!

Yours hopefully

Paul

Re: Self Employed Domestic Installer - Going it alone, advice on testing my installat

its personal preference on the tester, but ive never had any problems with the megger multifunction 1552
even has a ramp test option so will ramp up the current to see at exactly what point the RCD trips
Pretty good peice of kit!!
(Dead) C - R - I - P ( Live ) P - E - L - D

DEAD
Safe Isolation Procedure
Continuity of Bonding Conductors
Continuity of CPC
Ring Final Circuit
Insulation Resistance
Polarity

LIVE
Polarity of Tails
PFC / PSCC
Earth Loop Impedance ( Ze )
Earth Fault Loop Impedance ( Zs )
Devices ( RCDs )
Functional Testing

Practice and doing it regularly and it will become routine, nothing to worry about mate

Re: Self Employed Domestic Installer - Going it alone, advice on testing my installat

All comes good with practice. Once you've done a few jobs it'll become second nature in no time

If you are buying books, The IEE Guidance Note 3 is the bible, so put it on your shopping list

Look into doing the 2392 mate. I found it very helpfull and means i can cerfity my own work. I'd avoid the 2391 until you have a better undertsanding of testing procedures as you have to write as if your describing how the tests are done bit by bit. It has got a 60% failure rate for a reason and does not teach you how to test!

Reply to Self Employed Domestic Installer - Going it alone, advice on testing my installations in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net