Discuss Self employed electrician with no work due to covid19 what are my options in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Self employed electrician with no work due to corona virus. I’m a 1 man business carrying out work for private households mainly but due to cancellations I find myself with no work for foreseeable future.
What are my options.
Can I contact HMRC and say I’m no longer self employed and then apply for benefits and then when things pick up again contact HMRC and restart business

First stop perhaps....

I doubt that they will look kindly on someone ceasing to be self employed and then immediately claiming benefits.
I think you would realistically need to start a PAYE job before ceasing self employment.

You should be entitled to carers allowance and other related help.
phone the CAB for information if you can get through.

Sorry this was the reply to the thread about crohn's disease. I do not know hoe it posted here.

If I remember correctly you can't apply for any benefit until you have been unemployed for six weeks, do we think the lock down will last that long? it may not if we keep to the suggested self isolation, but will be prolonged if we don't.

Self employed electrician with no work due to corona virus. I’m a 1 man business carrying out work for private households mainly but due to cancellations I find myself with no work for foreseeable future.
What are my options.
Can I contact HMRC and say I’m no longer self employed and then apply for benefits and then when things pick up again contact HMRC and restart business

If you're no longer self-employed, your should notify HMRC:

Stop being self-employed - https://www.gov.uk/stop-being-self-employed

If you decide to remain self-employed and now consider yourself to be temporarily unemployed, you'll need to claim Universal Credit:

Universal Credit if you're self-employed - https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/universal-credit-for-the-self-employed

Don't forget to cancel all your insurance policies if you decide to stop being self-employed!

I would echo Gavin's advice and postpone any decision until the end of the week.

Just read this
"Those who invest their profits in their business, or set themselves up as a limited company and pay themselves via a dividend, will also be ineligible."

Just read this
"Those who invest their profits in their business, or set themselves up as a limited company and pay themselves via a dividend, will also be ineligible."

From the official government website....

"Those who pay themselves a salary and dividends through their own company are not covered by the scheme but will be covered for their salary by the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme if they are operating PAYE schemes. "

Does posting on this forum count as working for the company. ;)

It's an awkward one, and not at all that helpful for anyone, including the tax man.

I could conceivably carry on working doing a day or two each week. I doubt very much I can find the right sort of work to get anymore than that until this thing is done. It's a shame they couldn't come up with some way I can get a bit of help, whilst also doing a few jobs and paying some tax.

Yesterday I did a 1st fix in a conservatory, next week I may have a garage conversion to 1st fix. I also have an empty flat to rewire, but wet pants has got there first!

If this thing has peaked in a month and we are back to only lighter measures - self isolating, hand washing etc etc then it's not a big deal. My big worry is that it goes on for months. In which case the government will probably be forced into providing more help I guess.

I'm in quite a privileged position in that the business has been doing well so far this year, I have no mortgage/rent to pay and I have some savings to fall back on. However, I do have a wife and 3 month old to look after and we really wanted to move somewhere bigger this year as we have somewhat outgrown our small bungalow. If I had stretched my finances more and bought a bigger house a year or two ago with a big mortgage then I would now be eligible for mortgage holidays, universal credit etc. I always struggle to accept a situation where those that have money set aside for a rainy day get nothing, where those who have been profligate get helped. Often people whose earnings are very similar...

However, it is what it is and I totally understand these people need to be helped to put food on their tables etc. I'm sure some of them are really being put through the wringer lately with money worries I don't currently have.

Focus on ya self mate and count ya blessings....live your life not theirs.....I’m sure a lot of em would swap ya!....understand your frustrations but all we can do is take a day at a time and be grateful we still here, in your position with savings minimal outgoings and a baby I’d sit home and ride this out and keep my family safe ?

Reply to Self employed electrician with no work due to covid19 what are my options in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock