Discuss Self Employed Hourly Rates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I know this will vary between areas of the country but what's the best way to know what the local companies are charging? I'm going out on own next month and have my price in mind but would like to know how that compares.

in my area, £40 -£45 for a call-out and then £25 - £30 /hour. full day £180 - £250.

If you are in the Glasgow area?, perhaps someone from around there can give you an idea of local rates.

Is this commercial or domestic, or both? I charge all sorts of different rates. £200 a day for contract work on commercial or domestic. £300-£450 sometimes depending on the client and job. Per hour anything from £20-£40 (unsocial hours) depends on the client and how much I need work and the complexity of the job. I know rates generally fall into £200-£300 per day for the sole trader but are £400 + VAT for the larger firms if not higher. It is also very dependent on perceptions of what will get the job and what will lose you the job. Maybe as you are starting, look to undercut, not too cheap to get work and a rep?

London and most of the South East you are looking at £80-£120 for the first hour

Around £60 per hour there after
[automerge]1578141511[/automerge]
Just for comparison my friend is a plumber and if you want him on a day rate its £450 a day for him and his lad

That would be a waste of their time and I don't really want to be doing that to someone when they are trying to earn a living.

You're setting up your own business in their area, you'll be taking their potential customers, how do you plan on doing that without having any effect on them?

You're running a business now, there's no room for that kind of fluffy thinking, every job you win is a job someone else didn't win.

Also the difference between winning and losing a job can be quite small.
I have known people lose a job over being just a hundred quid dearer than the competitor quote.
So one tactic many trade people use is to price for the 'bare' minimum the job requires and then try to make more profit adding with the extras once you start the job.
It can be risky doing this if there are no extras but I goes on a lot...
and on nearly every job that I have ever worked on there will always be something extra the client asks for.

Add up all your costs van lease insurance phones lead generation don't forget you want to earn enough for holidays. Add to that what you want to earn and % for non payers things that go wrong etc. Really think hard about all costs. Then add on how much you want to make that will give you a minimum to charge. Don't forget you will not be working every hour. Or go and work for someone else let them bother wilth all that you do your work and go home. Your employer won't he will be worrying about all sorts of things don't want to put people off being self employed but take those rose tinted glasses off.

I have always gone with this as an idea,
If you are doing a job for someone, 1 days work one off job £220-£250
If the same customer has given you a weeks work, I try and give them a better price, £190-£210.
London work is always £350 per day,
Night work is always £400 for 8 hours,
And as always, 20% on parts, that bit really adds up, you can cover the cost of your van most of the time that way,
Don’t under sell your knowledge and experience it worth a lot of money.

Reply to Self Employed Hourly Rates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net