Discuss Self Employment is it what it used to be ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Many many moons ago I used to be self employed, back then it seemed to be a breeze looking at the NI contribution tables it seems you get hammered now... As well as paying tax on your profits you get collared on the NI, OK fair enough you pay bugger all on the Class 1's..Perhaps being a one man band isn't what it once was ? Couple this with silly cut throat rates..you guys are really up against it !
J

If you're self-employed you pay Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance contributions. The rates are:

• Class 2 National Insurance contributions are paid at a flat rate of £2.65 a week
  • Class 4 National Insurance contributions are paid as a percentage of your annual taxable profits - 9 per cent on profits between £7,605 and £42,475, and a further 2 per cent on profits over that amount

The rates are broadly in line with what employees pay. NI increased under the last Government because they promised not to increase tax and "obviously" NI isn't a tax in their eyes or minds.

Yes we are up against it BUT I prefer it rather than having to worry about being laid off by an employer all the time.

I have just had a butchers at the tax rates as well for PAYE they are crafty fookers not only has NI gone up by 1% they have lowered the lower threshold for the 40% so more money to find...I'm off to nut the Lounge wall.ggrr.

Rate
2010-11
2011-12
2012-13
Starting rate for savings: 10%*
£0-£2,440
£0-£2,560
£0-£2,710
Basic rate: 20%
£0-£37,400
£0-£35,000
£0-£34,370
Higher rate: 40%
£37,401-£150,000
£35,001-£150,000
£34,371-£150,000
Additional rate: 50%
Over £150,000
Over £150,000
Over £150,000

No mate I don't need one, as I am PAYE the reason I brought this up that I look at how much I pay on NI and tax each month + fuel costs and was thinking about going SE on a contract with the employer.
J

dont they calc the 40% per month ie £34371 divided by 12 =£2864.25 then over that its 40% ? im paye and dont have a clue how they do it.they take it one way or another

dont they calc the 40% per month ie £34371 divided by 12 =£2864.25 then over that its 40% ? im paye and dont have a clue how they do it.they take it one way or another

In a word they don't divide £34371 by 12 and multiply by 40%, its not that simple.

Do you know what your tax code is? That's the first step in understanding your PAYE tax bill.

Reply to Self Employment is it what it used to be ? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock