Discuss Sensitive DC clamp meter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

aesmith

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a budget AC/DC clamp meter but have found it disappointing on low current testing. The lowest range is 40A with four digit display, meaning the lowest reading is 10mA. However the spec for the meter quotes an accuracy of 5% (or something) +/- eight counts, meaning it's claimed accuracy is really only something like 100mA. In reality I think it's less accurate still because the reading sometimes clocks up and down when reading something that I would expect to be pretty constant.

So I was having a look around to see whether there's such a thing as a DC clamp meter with a low range, I see there's one from Dilog (DL6506) which has a 2A range giving a resolution of 1mA and claimed accuracy of around 10mA.

Any other suggestions, or comments on alternative measuring techniques would be appreciated. To give an example of intended use I'm trying to track down why the car sometimes runs it's battery down when switched off. My conventional ammeter isn't idea because you have to break the circuit to insert it in the first place, which causes all sorts of things to reset themselves, and I can't switch range without breaking the connection again.

Thanks in advance, Tony S

i have the di-log one you mention ( albeit under a different name). with a 1mA resolution on the 2A scale, it should do what you want. just make sure it reads DC as well as AC.

Thanks. I assume you find the meter OK, bearing mind it's relatively low price compared to Fluke etc. And yes I know exactly what you mean about checking for DC, I've seen quite a few advertised as AC/DC but when you look at the details the DC current measurement is conventional rather than via the clamp.

Another comment I saw elsewhere, suggested looping the circuit under test around the jaws a couple of times, and dividing the displayed reading to match. Is that actually how they work on DC? If so then in some circumstances it might be another way to improve low current readings.

Thanks, Tony S

with the dilog DL6506, just set to the 2A DC range and clamp the cable. works fine.

My relatively cheap clamp meter with a FSD of 2A has a resolution of 1.0mA. I've never tried to measure DC current with it though.
They are dirt cheap (ÂŁ20+) but have not seen them advertised for such in the last 10 years.

"You could always use the fuse voltage drop method. Measure the voltage drop across the circuit fuse in mV then use the chart below to work out the actual current draw on the circuit."

Not much good as you are looking for the difference (leakage) not the circuit loading

think he's looking for current flow when there should not be any.

"You could always use the fuse voltage drop method. Measure the voltage drop across the circuit fuse in mV then use the chart below to work out the actual current draw on the circuit."

Not much good as you are looking for the difference (leakage) not the circuit loading
It's helped me track down some battery discharge gremlins in the past.

That's something to do with DC volt drop across poor battery terminals as opposed to leakage current to earth in an earthed ac system
The OP is trying to track down why his car battery goes flat. Last time I checked batteries were DC...

Thanks for the comments. That method of measuring across the fuse looks useful, something I read was advising against pulling fuses to try and eliminate circuits, because doing so might reset something. Not all the fuses have the test points though.

Thanks everyone, a couple of positive comments about the device I was considering. That'll go on my shopping list. I haven't seen the same device under different brand names, only Dilog. Nor have I seen any dirt cheap ones with that 1mA resolution.

.... Nor have I seen any dirt cheap ones with that 1mA resolution....
The results would probably drift and give the game away.
( They have fun with the Earths magnetic field - Just like
magnetic compasses in Phones -now disappearing)
(..often upset by Cars , Metal bulk + Screen heaters )

Reply to Sensitive DC clamp meter in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock