Discuss Separation of circuits 314.4 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mark28118

Hello,

I'm doing a periodic inspection and am unsure weather to fault this,

I have a generator which is the source of my supply, this then feeds two main distribution panels out of the main switch. So there is two 3 phase supply cables out of one MCCB. Does 314.4 come into play or does it just relate to final circuits as it states in the regs.

314.4 Where an installation comprises more than one final circuit, each final circuit shall be connected to a
separate way in a distribution board. The wiring of each final circuit shall be electrically separate from that of every
other final circuit, so as to prevent the indirect energizing of a final circuit intended to be isolated.

Or is there another regulation that i need to be looking at ? Having abit of a debate........

Cheers

i wouldnt fault it its not best practice but as you said that reg is for final circuits not supplys. seen this many times before the only time id fault it if the connections were mechanically unsafe but bar that i wouldnt. ive worked with veteran testers and theyd pass it like.

There isn't a problem with this, the main panel provides isolation for the two distribution circuits each feeding a DB which then provides isolation for any final circuits.

That was my opinion but then again, it states that separation of circuits is to prevent indirect energizing, and its technically 2 circuits. Im sure if it was clearly labelled up it would be sufficient.

Reply to Separation of circuits 314.4 in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net