Discuss sequence of events help required. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I highlighted the condition of an installation several months ago to a client.

In short there is a basement which is very wet and the board holding the cut outs and switch fuses is rotten, and now starting to collapse.There are a TP mains cut out, SP mains cut out, isolators for both and switch fuses for both which along with a 10 way CU for the cellar circuits.

The board needs replacing which will require the DNO out.

The basement requires sealing and drying first, very much not being done by us.

Not only is the area wet it is also very humid with condensed water on all surfaces and as a result I refuse to touch anything until dry and safely isolated.

My proposed sequence is as follows:-

1, Contract out the sealing and drying of the of the area and to improve ventilation to deal with humidity.

2, Fit new board to house all DNO equipment.

3, Contact DNO and have them move the cutouts and meters, along with new isolators, onto the new board.

The installation will now be isolated from mains.

4, Dismount all remaining switch gear and fit new board.

5, Inspect all remaining switch gear and replace all that requires replacement.

6, Fit new CU for cellar circuits, fully 18th edition compliant. My intention is to go fully RCBO with surge protection and AFDD as this is a listed building.

7, Dead test the distribution circuits and all circuits in the new CU.

8, Energise.

9, Live test the distribution circuits and all circuits in the new CU.

10, Return to service.

Questions

1, Does the sequence seem reasonable.

2, Are the DNO going to play ball?

3,Why am I wearing my partners knickers?

4, As I've only altered the protective devices of the distribution circuits I only need to ensure these are 18th Edition compliant? (The Cellar CU will be given the works along with all associated circuits.)

5, Any useful ideas and pointers very much appreciated.

Oh, I've been working for 36 of the last 48 hours so if this seems garbage please cut me some slack.:p

sounds a good plan. (unless it's in Essex, then just spray it all with fake tan.)

Seems a reasonable course of actions. I just wonder if it is possible to move the cut-out(s) above ground and DB(s)? I am sure the DNO will assist. But the if as you say the basement will be cured of damp I suppose they can stay downstairs.

Unless you are making a very worthwhile markup on the sealing and drying out, I would suggest the client arranges this direct. If you take it on and sub it, it’s the one aspect that may come back to bite in the future.

In an ideal world you would have all of the electrics isolated first before the contractors start the drying/waterproofing process.

My thoughts exactly, I did have a little laugh to myself thinking that you are not prepared to go down there because it is electrically unsafe but you are quite happy to send the muck spreaders down there!!
That’ll teach them for filling up our boxes..
Surely you have to be the first one in there??
Stage 1.. Isolate and make safe the electrics. Set up temporary supplies for contractors..
Get dno in at same time to resolve any issues on their side..

In an ideal world you would have all of the electrics isolated first before the contractors start the drying/waterproofing process.

This is concerning me too.

There are business continuity concerns and also an independent flat who's supply will also be affected.

It will prove more expensive but it will cause less disruption if the whole lot is moved.

So build a new board further down the cellar, where it is dry.

Fortunately both distribution SWAs run past this location on route to the wet location.

Get DNO in to hopefully joint the supply and extend to new cut outs on new board.

Ultimately someone's got to go down their live.

It ain't going to be me.

It goes against the grain but, it probably shouldn't be the muck spreaders.

So that leaves the DNO boys.

Surely you have to be the first one in there??.

Not on you're Nelly, don't get paid nearly enough.

Last time i was down there was bad enoug, my arse cheeks were so clenched I bit a chunk out of my pants, and that's just taking pictures.

Agree with the rest though.

Not on you're Nelly, don't get paid nearly enough.

Last time i was down there was bad enoug, my arse cheeks were so clenched I bit a chunk out of my pants, and that's just taking pictures.

Agree with the rest though.
You took pictures and you haven't shown us!! :(

Reply to sequence of events help required. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock