Discuss Serial numbers on individual cables? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Been working with a production company and we're prepping sound and AV kit for a big job in Germany. The client is very fussy about making sure all the kit is fully tested, so we've been going through and PAT testing everything so there can be no problem.

All the appliances have their serial numbers listed, but I've heard a rumour that some people will complain that the individual cables aren't numbered. They've all been tested and labeled individually on the certificate as "16A 5m - 1", 16A 5m - 2" etc but there's nothing on the physical cable to identify which one is which...

Anyone ever know someone to reject equipment over something as ridiculous as that?

Your testing records and certificate are useless if you cannot identify the piece of equipment they relate to!

If an accident occurs and you have to prove that the cable at fault was tested then how would you go about that without it having an identification number?

I would of thought the number on the label should be its identify mark. Number 1 on label links to number 1 on report

For this purpose we're testing all kit for a specific job.

We'll provide say 10 20m 32A cables, and a certificate which lists 10 32A cables and the test results.

Still a problem you think?

Cheers

Yes because you cannot say which test results relate to which cable!
Your test results are meaningless if you cannot identify which cable they belong to, you might as well just write 'we tested 10x20m 32A TRS and 10x10m 32A TRS and they passed'

Warehouse boys like drawing on things. It's not really a hardship, is it?!

Yes because you cannot say which test results relate to which cable!
Your test results are meaningless if you cannot identify which cable they belong to, you might as well just write 'we tested 10x20m 32A TRS and 10x10m 32A TRS and they passed'

But if you've only got those cables on site, you're covered surely?!

Sounds like the warehouse boys have got a few months of fun ahead of them!

I identify any cables individually at both ends, they are industrial environments so very hardy labling is required - as others say if you can't identify when its time for the next test or if their is an accident or damage to the tested item then your cert's are not worth the paper they are printed on.

But if you've only got those cables on site, you're covered surely?!

Sounds like the warehouse boys have got a few months of fun ahead of them!

But how can you prove that you only have those cables on site?

I assume this kit is going out on tour? If so then the chances of exactly the same cables being in the flightcases for the duration are pretty damned slim.
And if one of the cables does get swapped out for a faulty one and an accident occurs which leads to a persons death how will you prove to the judge and jury that the cable was not one of those you passed as safe?

It may sound far fetched, but that is the essence of what all this paperwork is really about. Who goes to prison when the smelly stuff hits the fan!

looking after your cables is very important in av/pa/studio/film industry. and how are they labeled is up to a sparky/warehouse manager in particular firm.
its not only about PAT on some electrical leads, there will be plenty of data, signal, multicore cables too and every one has to work as expected after being taken out of its box.

I wouldn't have said many people think looking after the cables is important.

I have witnessed with my own eyes the darkest depths of a warehouse in London where the famous white tape with the word 'Tested' on it gets put round coils of cable.
It's slightly bizarre walking through a jungle of cables to get to the clear space in the middle where a man spends his days plugging cables in to a machine that would not look out of place on the tardis!

There's an interesting point here though Dave, how many cables that will start a tour end up finishing the tour without some element of R&R involved? And for every time someone gets the screwdriver and snips out, where's the PAT machine?!

Hi chaps,

Been working with a production company and we're prepping sound and AV kit for a big job in Germany. The client is very fussy about making sure all the kit is fully tested, so we've been going through and PAT testing everything so there can be no problem.

All the appliances have their serial numbers listed, but I've heard a rumour that some people will complain that the individual cables aren't numbered. They've all been tested and labeled individually on the certificate as "16A 5m - 1", 16A 5m - 2" etc but there's nothing on the physical cable to identify which one is which...

Anyone ever know someone to reject equipment over something as ridiculous as that?

I don't think it is ridiculous in the slightest.

And how many of those cables that finished the tour started with the tour, and how many that started the tour are now on permanent unofficial loan?

And why is it that half the time the tools come out is immediately after removing the aforementioned white tape with blue writing?

I,ve seen them labelled using those yellow cable collets with black numbers on,these are fitted onto a tywrap and attached to the cable,very hard wearing.

Reply to Serial numbers on individual cables? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock