Discuss series and parallel combinations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

andyc425

Hi all

I am carrying out my assignment and a little stuck on this i have to work out the

Total inductance
and total capacitance

now I'm aware of the formulas for series and parallel inductors and capacitors but as you can see from the picture i have a series/parallel combination and I'm unsure how to integrate this into the total inductance and capacitance for the two following diagrams shown in the photos.

Attachments

• series and parallel combinations IMG_20150322_132126222 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20150322_132126222.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 69
  • series and parallel combinations IMG_20150322_132116383 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20150322_132116383.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 64
You tell us what you think and we will tell you if you are right or wrong, we do not do your homework for you

I am not asking for the specific answer only the equation for combination of a parallel inductor for example in the one instance in a series circuit from my understanding i would calculate the equivalent resistance with 1/(1/4+1/0.21) and integrate that into the series equation which is simply the sum all of individuals inductors added together.

*removed*

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not asking for the specific answer only the equation for combination of a parallel inductor for example in the one instance in a series circuit from my understanding i would calculate the equivalent resistance with 1/(1/4+1/0.21) and integrate that into the series equation which is simply the sum all of individuals inductors added together.

well you should have been taking notes in class and asked your tutor the questions if you were not sure.

the homework will have been a test to see that you actually understood what you did in class.

why should we give you the formulae/answer, either check your notes or research it for yourself.

why dont you register for the trainie section?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your posts are not benefiting me or you, information and advice can be exchanged by individuals on this forum without distasteful comments being made from people who have nothing to contribute to the topic. Please don't waste my time and yours by giving me your personal opinion based on your assumptions on what i should or should not be doing.

Andy it is a fact which is pointed out to all trainees who come on asking for homework help. We don't do it. What we are all prepared to do is to push you in the general direction of the right answer AFTER you have had a go at it yourself. That way, you learn from the older hands.
Do yourself a favour in the mean time. Lose the attitude. You'll find that you'll get a lot more help.

To the OP, best help I can give you is to get savvy on using google to search for answers. TBH I would hazard a guess that most basic scientific formula are there. I found it in about 10 seconds and its as clear as day. So if you want to know the conversion formula for HP to KW just type that in google ditto for what you are after.

Probably your best answer here.

I found the answer within a minute or two but that's because I remember what im taught.

Good luck tell us what you get and we will let you know if you have done it right.

Last edited:
The only one with an attitude was you. The man would have helped you, he was trying to coax the right answer out of you like a good mentor/teacher. You have more to learn than just a few formulas

Its mostly just typical of our young Welshmens attitude
They somehow seem to think they have some God given right to recieve what they want on demand and with little effort or thanks when its given

Just to clarify i am not a practicing electrician this is for my HNC in building services engineering i am an air conditioning & refrigeration engineer. I have done all my equations so yes i have done my own research and put a lot of effort into it but i was under the impression this was an advice forum, and would like to be thorough and get advice from electricians with first hand experience in this. I can look up equations and formulas no problem with google, read countless articles but i find some people can put it into a better context never the less i have uploaded my answers and equations for total inductance and energy stored within the circuit.

Basic Electronics Tutorials and Revision

:smile:[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• series and parallel combinations IMG_20150322_201523092 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20150322_201523092.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 19
  • series and parallel combinations IMG_20150322_132116383 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20150322_132116383.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 14
Just to clarify i am not a practicing electrician this is for my HNC in building services engineering i am an air conditioning & refrigeration engineer. I have done all my equations so yes i have done my own research and put a lot of effort into it but i was under the impression this was an advice forum, and would like to be thorough and get advice from electricians with first hand experience in this. I can look up equations and formulas no problem with google, read countless articles but i find some people can put it into a better context never the less i have uploaded my answers and equations for total inductance and energy stored within the circuit.

Basic Electronics Tutorials and Revision

:smile:
[/QUOTE]

A, I get the same result for the inductor circuit. Take care with the 'precision' of your answer; it shouldn't exceed that of the precision of the information provided in the question ... ie 383 mH rather that 382.5.

A, I get the same result for the inductor circuit. Take care with the 'precision' of your answer; it shouldn't exceed that of the precision of the information provided in the question ... ie 383 mH rather that 382.5.[/QUOTE]

Thanks kayak i did wonder if i should drop it out.

Reply to series and parallel combinations in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock