Discuss Serious question regarding how to take a holiday! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon all..

Since I started doing this full time a year ago I haven't taken any holidays. A day or 2 here and there, but no long breaks. I thoroughly enjoy the work and when I get home I get on with quotes, certificates, invoices etc and I'm ok with that as I enjoy it. However, it can take over your life a bit and I've noticed that I'm a bit snappier with my my boy and am giving him less time as I want to get on with work.

I have just had my first 2 week period off. During that time I did a days work for a new builder as this was my first job with him and he was desperate to get it done but more to the point I have still been answering work calls/texts/emails... almost daily.

My question is how do you completely ignore all work telephone calls? I have to answer the phone as it could be family/friends. Plus emails/texts etc.. Do you just ignore all customers for 2 weeks and hope they still need you after you reply 2 weeks later? How do you properly switch off?

self-employed you never switch off. even asleep you're on stand-by like the telly.only way to shut off completely is to go abroad for a fortnite, but then you need to have a sparky mate to handle calls on your behalf and attend any urgent calls, even if that only means isolating a fault pending your return to fix.

Employ staff :)

yeah but you get to take an holiday when you want o_O

what's a holiday?

I think it's when the wife buggers for the day and leaves you in the house with a crate of real ale.

corrected that for you.

It's a tricky one. When I first started on my own I thought I would wait for a quiet spell and then go on holiday. Next thing I knew was two years on and no holiday!
When I go away now I inform all my regular customers, and anyone else can wait until I get back. Don't be tempted to change your answer phone message to say you are away as that's an open invitation to have your house robbed!

Just take the time off and send your customers this card
Serious question regarding how to take a holiday! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I am currently in LA on vacation as the Americans would say. I tell all my regular customers a couple of weeks before and then approx a week before I go I change my voice mail to say that I am already on holiday. Trying to get everything done before you go is the main problem. On a side note,while here in LA I have bought a pay as you go sim for my unlocked phone which has cost $30 and I can phone and text the UK for nowt and also use as much data as I like while out and about.

dont most small companies compensate for this by taking trades fortnight and xmas off? taking trades fortnight was not a choice at my first job, since there was only the boss there and he was taking those days regardless

We had our first 2 week holiday last year and we went to America ....

My mobile is on Vodafone and they have a (poorly advertised) option to just have an outgoing message on you message options.......... The message was quite blunt ............. I'm on holiday but email me if you want to leave me a message.

Our home phone was diverted to my mobile

My mobile was taken with us but switched off. My laptop was left at home.

My internet / email provider put an out of office on my email saying I was on holiday and would respond when I got back.

I did take our ipad which has my business emails on it - I only replied to 1 email while I was away and it was simply to confirm what time I would be back to a job on my first day back ...

It really helped me to relax.

Always a problem, but it is essential to have holidays, for you and your family. It's not cool to be answering the mobile constantly by the pool...that is for ex-photocopier salesmen and dodgy dealers.
If a customer wants you, make sure you leave a suitable message, but do not phone them...would they phone you when on holiday themselves?
If they are regulars, they will wait for your return. If it's a true emergoncy, well they will find someone else...that's life.
HOLIDAYS ARE ESSENTIAL! The work will still be there when you get back, and you will deal with it far better after a break.
No customer is going to miss his holiday for you, so why should you miss your holiday for him/her?
Work to live, don't live to work...trite, maybe...but so true.

I managed a whole week in Cornwall - I was very busy up to it and busy from the day I got back but that week was silent (except for 1 call) and very relaxing.
I was given the week off and I took it.
I’ve planned for next year already! just in case!

Fortunately, I am always on holiday too...retiral does that for you!
Having said that, since I got involved with a charity recently I have been working 9-5, five days a week, not being paid, obviously,
however, my wife loves it! Peace for her all day!

Reply to Serious question regarding how to take a holiday! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock