Discuss Seriously considering career change. Which route to qualification? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tbj

Hi,

First, apologies if this has been done to death.

I am 28 and considering a career change to become an electrician, preferably in the industrial sector. I have over 10 years' experience as a computer programmer and fancy a change - I've spent way too much of my life sat on my bum!

Always had a passion for electrics and electronics and I'm a keen electronics hobbyist with a good working knowledge of electrical theory too. I realize all this counts for virtually nothing when it comes to becoming a professional electrician though. :D

So... it seems my best route would be to take the C&G 2365 levels 2 and 3 and, once that's complete, I should be in relatively good stead to get a job in the industry, right?

Can I also do domestic work with this qualification - i.e will I be able to self-certify installations if I am a member of NICEIC/NAPIT etc?

Has anyone had success with getting funding to do these courses? I've never been in higher education before so I don't really know how it works but I was hoping I'd be entitled to at least a loan to cover the course fees - has anyone had any success with this?

Cheers, and sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just really rubbish at figuring out how to start :p

Hi,

First, apologies if this has been done to death.

I am 28 and considering a career change to become an electrician, preferably in the industrial sector. I have over 10 years' experience as a computer programmer and fancy a change - I've spent way too much of my life sat on my bum!

Always had a passion for electrics and electronics and I'm a keen electronics hobbyist with a good working knowledge of electrical theory too. I realize all this counts for virtually nothing when it comes to becoming a professional electrician though. :D

So... it seems my best route would be to take the C&G 2365 levels 2 and 3 and, once that's complete, I should be in relatively good stead to get a job in the industry, right? only if you have practical experience as , say, a mate. am2 and nvq3 would be useful after the 2365 level 3.

Can I also do domestic work with this qualification - i.e will I be able to self-certify installations if I am a member of NICEIC/NAPIT etc? if you pass assessment with niceic or one of the others.

Has anyone had success with getting funding to do these courses? I've never been in higher education before so I don't really know how it works but I was hoping I'd be entitled to at least a loan to cover the course fees - has anyone had any success with this? i have no knowledge of any financial help but you can do the 2365 evenings at college whilst still earning daytime.

Cheers, and sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just really rubbish at figuring ou
t how to start :p

my comments in rfed.

Last edited:
Only thing to add to Tel's post, is most reputable colleges will allow you to pay in instalments - split into 4, a payment every two months I think ours is, not sure, never used it but I know it exists.

Failing this, you can get a 24+ study loan, which is (as far as I understand) the same as a student loan - it will cover the cost of the course, and then you start paying back off your wage at a certain percentage. There is APR on this though, but it's reasonable I do believe. You only start paying it back when you earn above the threshold, and after the course has finished.

The best bit of advice I can give you with regards to finance is get yourself along to a local college and ask them - they'll have done it a million times before and will tell you exactly what is available. It's the perfect time too - most colleges will be running enrolment events right now ready for their September intake.

Only thing to add to Tel's post, is most reputable colleges will allow you to pay in instalments - split into 4, a payment every two months I think ours is, not sure, never used it but I know it exists.

Failing this, you can get a 24+ study loan, which is (as far as I understand) the same as a student loan - it will cover the cost of the course, and then you start paying back off your wage at a certain percentage. There is APR on this though, but it's reasonable I do believe. You only start paying it back when you earn above the threshold, and after the course has finished.

The best bit of advice I can give you with regards to finance is get yourself along to a local college and ask them - they'll have done it a million times before and will tell you exactly what is available. It's the perfect time too - most colleges will be running enrolment events right now ready for their September intake.
Times certainly have changed, My company only had to pay the enrolment fee for me because I was under 18, it was only after that age that full fee's had to be pay'd in full.

It used to be that you got a substantial discount if you were claiming income based jobseekers allowance at the time of enrolment.

Reply to Seriously considering career change. Which route to qualification? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net