Discuss Seriously thinking of ditching TV sport in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Percyprod

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Although not sport mad myself, my wife is sport mad (She's a PE teacher). We both like to watch football, tennis, cricket etc, but there are 2 things tempting me to get rid of it. First of all cost. Years ago sport was on ITV or BBC. Now to see most sport I have to have and pay for Sky, BT Sport, Amazon Prime, Eurosport and Eurosport Player. As more sports transfer to these companies I feel I get no benefit, nor does anyone else except for those companies. The quality on Prime and Eurosport player is awful as well. Worse than this is the constant battering from bloody Ray Winston and Bet 365. Every few minutes he's on with his arrogant southern accent telling us that if we send lots of money to Bet 365 we will some how be taking part in the sports. What a prat! Worst of all it's been the same terrible advert for ages. I hate adverts anyway, they lie and assume we're all idiots. There. I feel better now. Really do appreciate good old Auntie BBC.

Ditch the paid TV services and spend the same money going to live sporting events. Much more fulfilling.
I imagine.
I'm not into sport that much.

Any idea of how much that would cost? Tickets, travel, accommodation etc. Even tv looks cheap when compared!

Knocked my Sky package down to basic channels like Sky Atlantic which saved a fortune. Just get Now TV online and pay per view if you’re not watching that much.

I ditched the TV licence the other day and ploughed the money into You tube premium.
Now I watch a lot of YouTube - Doh!
Still waiting for a knock on the door for a check up - keeping the house tidy for a visit from the goon squad is a right bore!

Soon as my sky contract is up in March , I’m ditching sports

No longer represents good value for money

Soon as my sky contract is up in March , I’m ditching sports

No longer represents good value for money
I wish they'd charge each sport channel at the proportional cost of buying the rights for that sport... Sadly, every sport has to subsidise the football costs !

I ditched the TV licence the other day and ploughed the money into You tube premium.
Now I watch a lot of YouTube - Doh!
Still waiting for a knock on the door for a check up - keeping the house tidy for a visit from the goon squad is a right bore!

I got rid of my TV 25+ years ago. Have a scan through the channels now and again when visiting family or friends just to see what I'm not missing :) I can watch DVDs, internet, youtube etc or better still put on some music and chill out with a good book, or even get on with the million jobs needing doing around the house! Nope, who needs TV.

Got fed up with Shy too...price kept going up, then you say you are leaving so they reduce it for 6 months...and for some reason they simply won't tailor a custom package for you, so I went for freesat with a Humax box and a NowTV box, the latter so I could see golf mainly.
In January we moved house, to a flat-downsizing...only option there was Virgin TV as the cables were all in and no external aerials allowed.
Which package though?
Oh, said my wife, let's go for the super-duper over the top one, with 2 Tivo boxes and fibre broadband, then we can watch what we each want, and record 12 programmes while watching another 6 on split-screen.
Chap came to install everything, and made right hash of it...but the broadband is very fast indeed. Thus, I signed up to £120/month, reduced to £89/month for the first year...
and then she left me!
Another bonus was my mate fitting a Slingbox, so now I can watch all my thousands of channels and recordings anywhere in the world free of charge as it just logs in to my Tivo box.
So, 2 results, really...

I used to be with Talk talk, then they introduced me to A lot of very nice Indian Men who wanted to get rid of all the nasty viruses on my computer. Whereas this provided me with hours of entertainment, I decided to join Sky. Those very nice gentlemen followed me though. Naughty Talktalk.

Got fed up with Shy too...price kept going up, then you say you are leaving so they reduce it for 6 months...and for some reason they simply won't tailor a custom package for you, so I went for freesat with a Humax box and a NowTV box, the latter so I could see golf mainly.
In January we moved house, to a flat-downsizing...only option there was Virgin TV as the cables were all in and no external aerials allowed.
Which package though?
Oh, said my wife, let's go for the super-duper over the top one, with 2 Tivo boxes and fibre broadband, then we can watch what we each want, and record 12 programmes while watching another 6 on split-screen.
Chap came to install everything, and made right hash of it...but the broadband is very fast indeed. Thus, I signed up to £120/month, reduced to £89/month for the first year...
and then she left me!
Another bonus was my mate fitting a Slingbox, so now I can watch all my thousands of channels and recordings anywhere in the world free of charge as it just logs in to my Tivo box.
So, 2 results, really...
She left you for the Virgin installer guy, must have been impressed with the package......

Reply to Seriously thinking of ditching TV sport in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock